28 February 2014

What!? Peanut Butter, Jelly and Potato Chip Bars

 
 
Sorry.  I didn't mean to disappear.  Really.  I didn't mean it.  I guess I just needed some me-time.  I've actually been dealing almost non-stop with an issue with my oldest kiddo's school.  It's a problem most parents would love to have -- he's just too smart.  The local school district doesn't have the tools for dealing with it, though.  They have programs for under-performers, but not over-performers, at least not until they're older.  So, I have spent the last ten days working to get Sam in a different school where they might have some flexibility with his advancedness (I just made that word up.) and be able to work with the fact that he's doing math and reading on a much higher level than the other first graders.  I got him into a new school for next year that looks really promising.  So (fingers crossed) that issue is gonna work out and I can get my brain back into the kitchen again.
 
 
I've been wanting to make these bars from the website Spoon Fork Bacon for a while now.  I started going through my really ridiculously large pile of recipes I would like to try eventually.  I have to add that I will probably never make 99% from them, so I go through about once a year and get rid of half that have built up that I know will never make the cut.  This recipe, though, keeps ending up at the top of the pile, so I finally broke down and made it this week as a little stress reliever.


They didn't end up quite as spectacular as I had envisioned, but they are pretty darn good.  Somehow, although they are pretty much packed with peanut butter, I don't think they ended up quite peanut butter-y enough.  I think I might just up the peanut butter quotient and make these again.  Other than that I was pretty darn thrilled and these absolutely filled my comfort food, stress relief quota for the week.  I'm definitely keeping the recipe in the pile.  You never know when a new version might come swimming out of my brain.

 
I did use all the peanut butter I had left.  That's always a good thing since you always pull out some extra peanut butter to lick off your fingers on the way out of the jar (just wash you hands after said finger lickin' goes down.)
 
 
Peanut Putter, Jelly, and Potato Chip Bars
makes one 9x13" pan
adapted ever so slightly from Spoon Fork Bacon

Print me, Please!!!

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 1/2 cups strawberry preserves
3/4 cup crushed potato chips (I used Wavy Lays)
2/3 cup peanut butter chips
1/3 cup chopped dry roasted peanuts

Preheat oven to 350°.  Spray a 9x13" glass baking dish with nonstick spray; set aside

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.  In another bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.  Add the egg and continue to beat until blended.  Add the vanilla and peanut butter and beat well until combined.

Add the flour mixture to the peanut butter mixture and mix until a smooth dough comes together.

Press 2/3rds of the peanut butter dough into the prepared pan in an even layer.  Spread the preserves over the dough and crumble the remaining dough over the top.  Sprinkle the potato chips, peanut butter chips, and peanuts over the top.

Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from the oven and let the bars cool in the dish for at least 1 hour.  Cut into bars and serve.  Store in a covered container at room temperature up to 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...