27 January 2014

Texas Star Pecan Pie


My life has become remarkably pie-centric the last few days.  I've been reading the book "Arkansas Pie" by Kat Robinson.  Guess what it's about?  It makes me want to simultaneously hop in the car and go all over the state eating pie until I burst and at the same time go in the kitchen and cook pie after pie.  I'm not quite sure how I would do both of those at the same time, but that's what I wanna do nonetheless. 

To top off all the pie-ness, last Friday was National Pie Day.  I realized it too late to get up a pie post in honor of the holiday, but I did spend the evening digging through old recipes looking for some gem that I may have missed.  I happened upon this recipe in my countless piles I inherited from my grandmother.  The name gives nothing away.  This is a lot like a soda cracker pie, basically a meringue pie filling.  That pie is one of my husband's favorites and also one of the first recipes I posted on the blog.  There are some big differences, though.  First (and most obvious) is the lack of soda crackers.  They are swapped out for a graham cracker crust.  There's no crust in a soda cracker pie.  There's brown sugar in addition to white sugar.  It adds a nice little caramel-y flavor to the filling.  There's chocolate in this pie, too.  There's no chocolate in soda cracker pie.  I figure some chocolate's never a bad thing.

I did leave two things out from the original recipe -- the caramel sauce and ice cream on top for serving.  This pie is sweet enough to make my dentist have pain just hearing about it.  I love caramel sauce as much as the next guy, but the last thing this pie needs is some more sugar.  I also put a little dollop of barely sweetened whipped cream on top in place of the ice cream.  The creaminess is a nice complement.


Texas Star Pecan Pie
makes 1 pie

Print me, Please!!!

4 egg whites
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 ready-made graham cracker crust

Preheat the oven to 350°.

Beat the egg whites on high speed until foamy; add the salt and vanilla.  Continue beating until soft peaks form.  Add the sugars, one tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.  Stir in the chopped pecans and chocolate chips.

Spoon the mixture into the pie crust.  Bake for 30-35 minutes or until pie is light golden brown and no longer jiggly in the middle.  Cool on a wire rack before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...