23 January 2014

My Super Smoothie


This is the post I never, ever, ever in a million years thought I would be writing.  I'm not a big smoothie drinker.  I've always preferred eating my fruit and/or yogurt to drinking them.  Plus so many smoothies are just filled with so much that's just horrible for you, packed with all sorts of sugar and calories, and leave you hungry after and hour or two.  Not cool.  Not cool at all.

This smoothie is the opposite of all that stuff and I'm completely obsessed.  This is now my almost-daily breakfast.  It's actually good for me.  I can carry it with me while I tote the kids to their schools and go to work.  I'm a slow digester in the morning, so prolonging the breakfast consumption totally works for me.  It keeps me full until lunchtime.  Another awesome thing.  It also gives me as much get up and go as numerous cups of coffee.  Totally bonkers awesome.


I get what you're thinking.  I was thinking it, too.  At least I was until I made one of these bad boys.  Green juice?  Ugh.  That's my first thought.  Do I really wanna drink spinach?  Second thought.  I must not be a smoothies kinda girl.  Third thought.  I don't know what made me do it, but then I decided to bust out the blender.  I couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised.  The green stuff's subtle.  You mainly taste the banana.  Banana does have that magical power about it. 

There is a trick to the blending order.  You must abide by the order or you might end up with stringy chunks of kale and spinach.  That's not appetizing.  I found out the hard way, so trust me on this one.  Blend the spinach and kale with the liquid first.  Blend it for a couple of minutes.  Blend until you don't see distinct dark green specks.


My Super Smoothie
makes 2  small or 1 large smoothie

Print me, Please!!!

1 cup baby spinach leaves, packed
1 cup chopped kale, packed
1 cup almond milk
1/2 cup frozen peaches
1/2 cup ice
1 medium banana
1/2 cup fat free vanilla greek yogurt
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Blend the spinach, kale, and almond milk for 2-3 minutes, or until completely smooth and there are not distinctive pieces of leaves in the mixture.  Add the peaches and ice.  Blend until combined.  Add the banana, yogurt, and cinnamon.  Blend until combined and completely smooth.  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...