07 December 2013

Sausage Harissa Pinwheels


I got some harissa at Williams Sonoma the other day.  I had never had it before.  The depth and breadth of our international food selection is not the hugest here in Little Rock.  We had a great abundance of Mexican restaurants.  Greek food is well represented.  We even have some completely awesome Indian food.  North African food is pretty much a void, though. 

If you live in most of middle America, restaurants that serve harissa paste with your meal are probably pretty rare for you, too.  Harissa is a Tunisian spice paste made from peppers and a whole bunch of spices.  It's treated a lot like ketchup.  It's common to put it on falafel in Israel.  That may be my next project.  I love falafel more than almost anything.

I decided to whip up an appetizer with my harissa paste.  I wanted something pretty easy both in time and on the tastebuds.  I was cooking for quite a few folks and some of them aren't very adventurous eaters.  This little three or four bit nibbles are super tasty.  The sausage is gives some heft.  The puff pastry is rich and buttery.  The harissa paste is spicy, smoky, and adds a ton of depth.  There's also a little cheese just to hold everything together. 

I'm probably making these again for my Christmas buffet.  Writing a blog means that I very rarely make something more than once since I always try to move on to the next recipe and the next idea, but these are definitely going to be required eating for a while.



Sausage Harissa Pinwheels
makes about 3 dozen pinwheels

3/4 lb mild pork sausage
2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
1/4 cup harissa paste
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat the oven to 350°.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.

Brown the sausage in a medium skillet over medium heat.  Pour onto paper towels to drain.  Spread the puff pastry onto a lightly floured surface.  Spread the harissa paste onto the pastry in a thin, even layer.  Crumble the sausage over the harissa, followed by the cheese.  Roll the puff pastry, starting with one of the short sides into as tight a roll as you can.  Place the rolls in the freezer for 10 minutes to allow them to firm up enough to slice.

Slice the rolls into slices about 1/2" thick and place on the prepared baking sheet 2" apart.  Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.  Place on a wire rack to cool.  Repeat with the remaining slices.  Serve warm or at room temperature.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! My name is Heather and I wanted to know if you would be willing to answer a quick question regarding your blog! I would greatly appreciate it if you could email me when you get a free moment at Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...