06 November 2013

Pineapple Upside Down Cake Monkey Bread


This monkey bread is ridiculous.  Completely ridiculous.  I know that the name is overly long, but I did shorten it a little.  The whole name is Pineapple Upside Down Cake Cream Cheese Stuffed Monkey Bread.  One of my little irritations about a lot of recipes I see floating around these days is that they seem to be a little over the top.  Over the top as in let's see how much stuff I can cram into this cake pan/pie plate/cookie and have it still sort of make sense.  I've reverted back to some sort of minimalism in reaction to all the craziness.  Well, I had reverted.  This monkey bread is a completely and unapologetically excessive.  I make no apologies.  It's also completely and unapologetically rich, sweet, sticky, gooey, cream cheesy, and delicious.

I got the idea from Pillsbury.  They sent me an email a couple of weeks ago with a recipe for cream cheese stuffed monkey bread.  It sounded delicious.  I'm down for adding cream cheese to pretty much anything.  It also uses crescent dough instead of biscuits.  Since the biscuits are usually why I don't care for monkey bread all that much I was also totally down with that revision.  I don't know why, but the standard brown sugar and cinnamon coating concoction just wasn't doing it for me.  It just had to be...more.  So, I mixed my own little fancy, schmancy pineapple/brown sugar coating.  It's magical.  I wanna give myself a high five.  I done good.

I started working on ideas for the holiday goodie this week.  I make desserts and/or appetizers for three different Thanksgiving dinners.  I also do a big spread on Christmas Day.  Our day starts with breakfast and the whole spread stays out all day for snacking.  It's a little work to come up with yumminess that will survive the entire day on the dining room table.  Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.



Pineapple Upside Down Cake Monkey Bread
adapted from Pillsbury

Print me, Please!!!

20 oz crushed pineapple, drained
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
One 8 oz container pineapple cream cheese
2 cans Pillsbury refrigerated crescent rolls

Preheat oven to 350°.  Grease a 12 cup bundt pan with nonstick spray; set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the pineapple, brown sugar, and butter.  Unroll the crescent dough and cut each triangle into 3 pieces of roughly the same size.  Place about 1/2 teaspoon of the cream cheese onto each piece of dough.  Fold the dough over the cream cheese and gently crimp it around the cheese, taking care the seal the dough around the cheese completely.  Place each ball into the pineapple mixture.  Repeat with the remaining dough pieces.  Stir the dough to combine with the pineapple mixture very carefully.

Pour the dough ball-pineapple mixture into the prepared pan.  Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool in the pan for 2 minutes.  Invert the monkey bread onto a rimmed plate and remove the pan.  Cool 10 minutes longer.  Serve warm.

Cover any leftovers and store in the refrigerator up to 3 days.


1 comment:

  1. Will definitely be trying this one!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...