14 November 2013

Peppermint Divinity

 
 
It's beginning to look a lot like....well, you know.  Since I work retail, my holiday season really started about a month and a half ago.   Now, though it seems like everyone is getting in the swing of things.  There are decorations all over the stores and recipes all over blogs and Pinterest.  I'm getting worse and worse at planning ahead every year, so I'm a little surprised at myself for actually making a holiday-like dessert before the middle of December.  I'm kinda proud of myself.
 
I passed by these Andes Peppermint Crunch baking chips at the grocery store and I had to get them.  The regular chocolate/green mint stuff Andes mints are one of my favorite candies.  I have to cut myself off when they are in the room.  Heck, if they're in the same zip code I have to show some measure of restraint.  They are one of my weaknesses.  I'm a little weird about peppermint, though.  I don't like it when it's crunchy.  I love Junior Mints, peppermint patties, tea, ice cream, truffles, taffy....  Not a big fan of candy canes, though.  I have no idea why.
 

 
 
 
I made some flavored divinity when I first started this blog in Lemon and Strawberry flavors.  They were super tasty and reminded me of my grandma, since she always made divinity as soon as the weather got cool and the humidity dropped.  This divinity is the same, only it makes me get all geared up and ready for the holidays as well.
 
 
Peppermint Divinity
makes about 1 pound
 
 
2 1/4 cups sugar
1/3 cup corn syrup
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup water
2 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup Andes peppermint crunch baking chips
 
Place sugar, corn syrup, salt, and water in a medium saucepan; cook and stir over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved.  Continue cooking without stirring until the syrup reaches the hard ball stage (255°). 
 
Meanwhile, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form,  Slowly pour the hot sugar syrup over the egg whites and beat on medium speed until the candy starts to fluff up.  Add the vanilla and continue beating until the mixture loses its gloss and begins to hold soft peaks.  Fold in the baking chips,
 
Drop by teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper.  Let sit at room temperature until candy is set.  Store at room temperature in an airtight container up to 1 week.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...