10 October 2013

Brown Butter Peanut Brittle and Bonus Brittle, Too


This brown butter peanut brittle was what I planned on ending my brown butter week with here on the blog.  Indeed I am ending the week with it, but then I got carried away with the brittle-making.  I'm a big fan of brittle.  Most people have had peanut brittle, but I love it for all the stuff you can put in it in place of the peanuts, too.  I've made it with just about every type of nut, pretzels, popcorn, pumpkin seeds....  I've used beer in place of the vanilla.  Now I've gone and added brown butter in place of the normal dab of butter I normally use.  It's totally delicious, but really subtle.  That's actually one of the things I love about brown butter (as if I haven't given enough reasons already) -- its subtlety.  So this brittle has a little hint of that lovely brown butter flavor, but it's not gonna knock you over.  I also used dry roasted, salted peanuts.  They're my favorite for peanut brittle.  You already know I love anything salty and sweet, but something about that dry roasted texture is just perfection in brittle.  Trust me on this one and you won't be disappointed.

 
Then, after my husband had polished about a half pound of the peanut brittle, I got this idea in my head and went and made another batch.  This time I added salted, roasted pistachios and dried cranberries.  There's also just a tad of dried orange peel.  All these things work together, which pretty much everyone already knows, and this brittle is just awesome.  It's one of those desserts that makes everyone simultaneously love and hate you.  They love you because it's so good and they hate you because it's so good that they end up eating half a pound and it's all your fault because you even broke it into little bite size pieces for them.  Of course all they can do is glare at you because their mouths are full.
 

 
I make my brittle in the microwave.  It turns out perfect every time.  It takes less than 15 minutes from start to finish.  It also makes about the best brittle you're ever gonna eat.  Don't knock it till you've tried it.  Now, go.  Go try it.  You have time.  You can thank me later.
 
 
Brown Butter Peanut Brittle
makes about one pound
 
 
1/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 1/2 cups dry roasted, salted peanuts
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 heaping tsp baking soda
 
In a small skillet or saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat and cook until golden brown; set aside.  Spray a rimmed cookie sheet or jelly roll pan lightly with non stick spray; set aside.
 
In a large, microwave safe bowl combine the sugar, corn syrup, peanuts, and salt.  Cook the mixture in the microwave on high (100% power) for 6 minutes.  Stir in the vanilla and butter.  Continue cooking on high for another 3 minutes, or until the mixture is golden brown and very bubbly.  Stir in the baking soda until combined.
 
Working quickly, spread the brittle out onto the prepared pan in as thin a layer as possible.  Let cool until set and cooled completely.  Break into bite size pieces.  Store in an airtight container up to 1 week.
 
Cranberry Pistachio Brittle
makes about one pound
 
 
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 cup salted, roasted pistachios
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 tsp dried orange peel (mine is McCormick brand and I got it at my local grocery store)
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 heaping tsp baking soda
 
Spray a rimmed cookie sheet or jelly roll pan lightly with non stick spray; set aside.
 
In a large, microwave safe bowl combine the sugar, corn syrup, pistachios, and salt.  Cook the mixture in the microwave on high (100% power) for 6 minutes.  Stir in the vanilla, cranberries, orange peel, and butter.  Continue cooking on high for another 3 minutes, or until the mixture is golden brown and very bubbly.  Stir in the baking soda until combined.
 
Working quickly, spread the brittle out onto the prepared pan in as thin a layer as possible.  Let cool until set and cooled completely.  Break into bite size pieces.  Store in an airtight container up to 1 week.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! What a lovely blog!

    wanna follow each other?

    http://itislovelyfood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...