24 September 2013

Really Over the Top Chocolate Cookies


Lately I've have some major chocolate cravings.  This may not be noteworthy for a lot of people, but it really is for me.  I know that this is majorly weird coming from someone who writes a blog devoted almost entirely to sweets, but I don't have much of a sweet tooth.  I crave bread, potato chips, and pretty much all other things salty or carb-filled instead of dessert.  So this chocolate craving of mine has really come out of nowhere.  I figure that if I have a craving then I should really do things up right, so I made the most chocolately dough filled with as much chocolate as could be crammed into said dough without breaking the mixer.  This is fair warning -- these cookies are not for the faint of heart.

 
Although these are chocolate to the extreme, they are not overly sweet.  They are definitely a cookie for grown ups.  I love that about them.  Even though they are for grown ups, don't leave off the powdered sugar.  They really need that little extra sweet kick to balance out the bitter notes in the chocolate.  Oh, and the espresso powder.  Did I forget to mention the espresso powder?  Well, anyhoo, go make these cookies.  You can thank me for it later.

Really Over the Top Chocolate Cookies
makes about 50 cookies

Print me, Please!!!

1 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
4 tsp instant espresso powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chunks
Powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350°.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.

In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugars, and vanilla extract on medium speed until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.  Beat in eggs one at a time, mixing to combine after each addition.  In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, espresso powder, baking soda, and salt.  On low speed, gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture.  Add the chocolate chips and chunks; stir until just combined.

Drop the dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheet about 2" apart.  Bake for 9 to 11 minutes, or until the centers are set and the tops are slightly cracked.  Cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.  Once the cookies are cooled, sprinkle the cookies with powdered sugar.  Store in a covered container up to 5 days.

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...