29 September 2013

Oatmeal Pecan Upside Down Cake


I'm never gonna lose any weight if I keep covering things with caramel.  I covered more potato chips this weekend.  I also put some peanut butter filled pretzels and dry roasted peanuts in the mix.  It was delicious.  I would show you pictures, but we disposed of all the evidence.  Here I go again, turning a perfectly normal, almost-healthy oatmeal cake on its' head by making it an upside down cake and, in turn, covering it with caramel and pecans.

I kinda love the dichotomy of this cake -- the topping is nearly over-the-top sweet while the cake is not too sweet, a little tangy, and a whole lot hearty with all the oats.  The tanginess comes from sour cream and it's a nifty trick, too.  It adds a little balance and a whole lot of moistness, which you need since all those oats can just suck all the moisture out of a cake if you're not careful.  I threw in some raisins, too.  I love raisins.  You probably know already that I take most of my goodies to work and share with the ladies there.  One of those ladies hates raisins, so I usually leave them out of things like cookies and cakes just for her.  I like this cake enough, though, so I don't think I'm gonna share....You can leave out the raisins if you are opposed to them in any way.  I won't begrudge you for a moment.



One little thing to remember with this cake is to serve it warm or the caramel-ish topping gets a difficult to slice.  It's still perfectly yummy at room temperature, just a little harder to slice cleanly.  No biggie, though.

Oatmeal Pecan Upside Down Cake
makes one 8" round cake

Print me, Please!!!

1/4 cup butter, melted
2/3 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup pecan halves
1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup flour
3/4 c packed dark brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
2/3 cup sour cream, lightly beaten
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup raisins (optional)

Preheat oven to 375°.  In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup melted butter and 2/3 cup dark brown sugar.  Spread the mixture in the bottom of an 8" round cake pan.  Arrange the pecan halves in a single layer on top of the brown sugar mixture; set aside.

In a large bowl, stir together the oats, flour, 3/4 c dark brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Add the eggs, sour cream, 1/4 cup melted butter, vanilla, and raisins.  Stir until just combined.
Carefully spoon the batter over the pecans in the prepared pan.

Bake 45-50 minutes or until golden brown and springy to the touch.  Immediately invert the cake onto a serving plate, spooning any brown sugar mixture or pecans in pan onto the cake.  Let cool slightly.  Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...