20 September 2013

Caramel Corn Cookies



 There are a lot of very surreal things about blogging.  Most of which are totally ridiculous and make me very, very glad that you can't look over my shoulder and watch the process.  Now, as I type this, I'm in my pjs, drinking a beer, and watching "The Golden Girls".  Did you know in the first episode they had a gay housekeeper named Coco?  I don't want to talk about the beer, since the quality is exactly what you would expect from someone sitting around watching 80's sitcoms (even if it is one of the best ones ever) in their pajamas.  Another surreal thing is the staging of photographs -- who over the age of 10 tries to see how tall they can stack cookies?  Food bloggers.  That's who.  I have also seen a number of very lovely blog pictures of cookies tied with twine this week.  Nothing else, but a loop of twine tied in a bow.  I can't bring myself to do it.  The twine would get in the way of eating all the cookies.  A big stack just makes it easier to eat all the cookies.  I did say this was all very surreal and ridiculous, didn't I?  It must be if that logic makes any kind of sense.

These cookies are totally worthy of eating in the serving size of "big stack", too.  They're salty, sweet, nutty, crunchy, chewy, and butterscotch-y.  They also have one slightly unusual ingredient --
cornmeal.  Grainy isn't a description I would necessarily think of as a good descriptive for most foods, but these cookies have just a hint of that cornmeal texture and it's totally positive and intriguing. 

I am totally in love with these because they are my own little ode to caramel corn.  When I lived in Chicago there were a few Garret's popcorn shops scattered through downtown.  They made fresh caramel corn and you could smell it over everything else in the city from blocks away.  They almost always had lines out the door.  I never went in and got any, but I will never forget that sweet smell.  These cookies smell a lot like that popcorn so I think they were meant to be.


Caramel Corn Cookies
makes about 60 cookies

Print me, Please!!!

1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 egg
1/4 cup honey
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup flour
One 11 oz bag butterscotch chips
1 cup chopped, salted peanuts

Preheat the oven to 350°.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.

In a large bowl, beat the shortening, butter, sugars, and cornmeal on medium speed until very light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.  Add the baking soda, salt, egg, honey, and vanilla; beat until combined.  Reduce the speed to low and add the flour until just combined.  Stir in the butterscotch chips and peanuts.

Scoop the batter onto the prepared baking sheet by heaping teaspoons, keeping them at least 2" apart.  Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until light golden brown.  Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.  Store in a covered container up to 3 days.

2 comments:

  1. I have never watched "The Golden Girls", but I know people obsessed with it! I should check it out.
    Also, this cookies look divine! I LOVE sweet and salty cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and I both grew up watching "The Golden Girls" on Saturday nights with out grandmothers. It is truly hilarious and one of the best shows ever. You totally should check it out.
      The cookies are awesome. I am totally obsessed with anything salty and sweet. Let me know what you think if you decide to make them.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...