30 August 2013

Strawberry Horchata Milkshakes


Life has just taken over this week.  No one part of life in particular, just life.  The boys are back in school now so there's an hour less sleep every night.  Work is total insanity.  It's been the hottest week of the year so far.  The husband's been grumpy.  I've been grumpy.  It's just life and it's just been one of those weeks.

For a couple of weeks it was downright fall-like.  It lulled me into a false comfort that maybe summer was gonna end a little early this year.  I was wrong.  This week has been the hottest of the year so far.  It's mind-numbing, fry and egg on the sidewalk hot.  On the bright side, though, that means it's totally okay to drink milkshakes with reckless abandon.  At least that's what it means at my house.

I don't think I've talked on the blog about how much I adore Mexican horchata.  If you've never had it, you should go to a real Mexican restaurant and have some.  I need to specify that it's Mexican horchata I'm digging on because the drink is pretty much a different concoction in each country that has a version.  The Mexican version is made with rice milk, vanilla, and cinnamon.

This milkshake is my own little shortcut to horchata with some strawberries and coconut milk thrown in just because I like them.  They make me happy and when life throws you a week like this one, you need whatever makes you happy.




Strawberry Horchata Milkshake
makes 4 normal or 2 "it's stupid hot outside" milkshakes

Print me, Please!!!

10 whole frozen strawberries
1 pint vanilla ice cream
One 13.5 oz can coconut milk
2 Tbsp rice flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon

In the container of a blender, process the frozen strawberries until they are well ground and there are no large pieces remaining.  Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth and well combined.  Add less coconut milk if you prefer a thicker milkshake.  Pour into glasses and serve immediately.

Note -- You can purchase rice flour at some grocery stores, Asian food stores, or Latin markets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...