19 August 2013

Bakewell Tart Soda


One of my best friends is married to a Brit.  When Traci married Keith I developed a little infatuation with the Bakewell Tart.  I wanted to learn to make a truly British dessert so he could have a little taste of home every now and again.  There's nothing to not like about the Bakewell Tart -- almond custard and raspberry jam in pastry.  One taste of Bakewell Tart and you may just find yourself questioning the Brit's reputation for lackluster food, because Bakewell Tart is nothing short of perfect.  


There are questions about the origins of the Bakewell Tart.  Some say it originates from the 1820's, some from the 1860's, and some even say it may go all the way back to medieval times.  The one thing that most stories agree on is the fact that it was probably an accident.  What the accident was in the tart's composition is also a matter for debate.  My favorite theory is that the cook accidentally put the jam in the bottom of the crust rather than on top.  I'm not sure how that might happen, but maybe the cook wasn't the most literate chap on the island.


I do love Bakewell Tart, but being in the depths of summer, I don't particularly love cranking up the oven.  I figured that the flavors might actually make for a lovely summertime drink.  I came up with this lovely sipping beverage.  It's incredibly almond-y, which is very much for Keith.  When I make an actual tart Keith's only comment is that they are not almond-y enough (even when I add what I believe to be an obscene quantity of almond extract).  They are simple to make and taste like liquid Bakewell tart.  Hopefully Keith would approve.


Bakewell Tart Soda
serves one

Print me, Please!!!

1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp raspberry jam, separated
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp almond extract
1/4 cup cold club soda

Combine 1/4 cup raspberry jam, almond milk, and almond extract in the container of a blender; blend until the jam is well incorporated in the milk mixture.  Put the remaining tablespoon of raspberry jam in the bottom of a glass.  Pour the raspberry milk over the jam.  Pour the cold club soda slowly into the glass.  Serve immediately.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...