01 July 2013

Nothin' Plain About it Banana Bread




I had to say from the get-go that there is nothing plain about this banana bread, even if it is a basic banana bread recipe.  One from my grandmother's recipe stash, which I ate pretty frequently when I was a kid.  I know I ate it at her house and at my own anytime we had overripe bananas.  That's the key.  You can't just go to the store and decide to make banana bread that day (unless they happen to have some overripe ones on clearance that day).  You have to plan ahead.  I am all kinds of organized, but I totally suck at planning ahead.  That's part of the reason why just about every recipe on here is something you can bust out and serve that same day.  I'm also all about instant gratification when it comes to food.  You can be totally impulsive and whip out this bread any time you have some really pitiful bananas sitting around.
if your bananas look better than these, sit on your hands -- they're not ready yet!

nuts aren't required, unless you're at my house, and then they're pretty much required in everything
My next piece of advice for truly enjoying the fruits of your banana bread labor is to not eat it until the day after you make it.  You have to let it cool completely, then wrap it up in plastic overnight.  This makes all the difference.  Eating banana bread on the day it's made is sort of a let down.  It's okay, but nothing remarkable.  The next day and the day after that your banana bread will be roll-your-eyes-back-in-your-head, have a big ol' food-gasm, completely mind blowingly spectacular.  I give this advice with the caveat that you will be doing as I say, not as I do, since I have never made a loaf of banana bread and managed to hold out until the next day.  Like I said, I'm all about instant food gratification.  I won't think less of you if you can't wait a day, but you'll thank me later if you do.


i love anything i get to mix up with my handmade wooden spoon



see.....i still couldn't wait


Banana Bread
makes one 9"x 5" loaf

Print me, Please!!!

3 overripe bananas
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional

Preheat the oven to 350°.  Lightly spray a 9"x 5" loaf pan with nonstick spray; set aside.

In a large bowl, mash your bananas to a pulp with a potato masher or a fork.  Add the oil, eggs, and sugar and stir to combine.  Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, milk, and vanilla and stir until well combined.  Gently stir in the chopped nuts, if using.  Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.

Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.  Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning the bread out onto a wire rack to cool completely.  Store the bread in plastic wrap or an airtight container up to three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...