12 July 2013

Fresh Blueberry Ice Cream Sodas


I'm not sure it gets more "summer" than this.  Fresh picked blueberries, ice cream, soda.....yum.  A while back I did a post about coke floats.  Coke floats were my grandpa's choice of summertime refreshment and that's always stuck with me, too.  I've mentioned a couple of times about my husband's recent changes in diet.  One of the new diet requirements is that he can have little to no caffeine.  So, no sodas for him.  I am not getting rid of caffeine.  I love him and all, but a girl's gotta have her coffee, right?  Because I love him, though, I made this lovely caffeine-free float just for us to share.  It doesn't hurt that it's delicious and a really lovely shade of purple.  I know I don't eat nearly enough purple food.  Oh, and it still has that yummy ice cream soda foam on top.  That's the best part!


So you cook some blueberries with some sugar and water.


Strain out the solids and you get beautiful homemade blueberry syrup.  I am sure you could use this for something other than ice cream sodas, too.




Put a couple of scoops of ice cream in a glass.


Pour on some of your blueberry syrup and don't be skimpy.


Pour in club soda until the glass is full, stir it around a bit, and get to slurpin'.

Homemade Blueberry Syrup
makes about 2 cups


1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 heaping cup fresh blueberries

Heat the sugar and water over medium high heat, stirring once or twice, until the sugar dissolves.  Add the blueberries and bring to a boil.  Once the mixture comes to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the blueberries have completely broken apart.  Pour the mixture through a mesh strainer into a bowl, discarding the solids.  Let cool.  Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 1 week.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...