24 June 2013

Snickerdoodle Cookie Cake


Every now and again you come across a recipe that is much greater than the sum of its parts.  This is totally one of those.  The recipe itself kinda makes me shrug and ask "What's the big deal?"  This cake is the big deal.  Seriously.  It's got more flavor than really seems possible.  It's covered with cinnamon sugar, which is one of the greatest things in the world.  It's super moist and stays that way for days.  It takes 5 minutes to get into the oven.  I have to make myself not sit down and eat the entire thing in one sitting.  I'm in love.

Lately I honestly have had a lot of time to cook.  I haven't been any busier than usual, just maybe more distracted, less focused.  I'm quite sure what it is, I just can't quite get it together.  It could be the husband who's still under the weather, the three year old with roseola and covered with little red dots, myself with the double ear infection.....Okay, so maybe I DO have more going on right now than usual....  We're all on the mend, though, so hopefully this week will be a little more sane and we can get back into the regular routine.

Back to the cake....

I had some fresh cherries from the farmer's market that I was trying to stretch for a few more days, so I tossed them with a teaspoon or so of sugar and a little lemon juice.  This simple little trick is called maceration.  To macerate fruit, like berries and cherries, just toss them in a little sugar (I like to add lemon juice for a little more flavor).  Toss the fruit in the fridge for an hour or so.  The fruit will become more flavorful and release some of its juices.  It's a great trick to know if you have some fruit that is about to go bad or you need something to eat on top of ice cream.  This cake is perfectly delicious without anything added, but you can't go wrong with fresh fruit.

There is an almost obscene amount of cinnamon sugar on top of this cake.  Feel free to tone it down if you don't love cinnamon sugar like I do.

nom.  nom.  nom.



Snickerdoodle Cookie Cake
makes one 9x13" cake

Print me, Please!!!

1/2 cup butter, room temperature
2 1/4 cups sugar, divided
1/2 c vegetable oil
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 heaping tsp cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350°.  Lightly spray a 9 x 13" baking pan with nonstick spray; set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the butter, 2 cups sugar, oil, eggs, milk, and vanilla; mix well until combined.  Add the flour, salt, and baking soda and mix until combined.  Pour the batter into the prepared pan.

In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon to make the cinnamon sugar.  Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar in an even layer over the batter.

Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.  Allow to cool on a wire rack in the pan for at least 15 minutes before serving.


2 comments:

  1. That cinnamon sugar topping looks so incredible! It would probably be one of my favorite parts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the best part. It reminds be of cinnamon toast a little and that was one of my favorites breakfasts as a kid.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...