05 June 2013

Mocha Meringue Pie


I know, I know....more of the no-bake desserts.  I would promise that this is the last one, but I know it would be a lie.  This is also not your typical no-bake dessert since it's a pie.  It's a pie topped with meringue.  I cheated (sort of) and used my tiny blowtorch to toast the top of the meringue and a store-bought graham cracker crust.  I still didn't have to turn on my oven, though, and that's what matters.

I was practically weaned on meringue topped pies.  My grandmother made a wicked chocolate meringue pie and my mom makes one that regularly causes visible swooning.  My mom comes by her chocolate pie making skills honestly.  I think this pie is a little bit of proof that that gene may have gotten passed on down the line.  Not to go overboard patting myself on the back, but this pie is crazy tasty.  It's definitely a pie for grown ups.  It's not too sweet and rich with deep chocolate and espresso.  It's also got a super pillowy, toasty meringue on top.  I'm not quite sure it gets too much better than this.


Whisk together all the filling ingredients until they get a little bit thicker and it starts to bubble.  Pour the filling into the pie crust and throw it into the fridge for a couple of hours.


Once the filling sets it's really terrifically beautiful.  If you want to you can leave off the meringue and this pie would be perfectly fine and rich enough to send you over the top.


Heap up the meringue on top and then toast it up with a blowtorch.  If you don't have a torch, just leave off the meringue since the heat of the oven will melt the filling.



Mocha Meringue Pie
makes one 9" pie


For the filling:
1/2 cup sugar
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1 Tbsp instant espresso powder
3 Tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 egg yolks
1 1/4 cups water
1/3 cup heavy cream

One 9" graham cracker crust

For the meringue:
3 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 cup sugar

In a saucepan, whisk together 1/2 cup sugar, gelatin, espresso powder, cocoa powder, salt, and egg yolks until blended and smooth.  Whisk in the water and cream.  Cook and whisk over medium low heat until the gelatin dissolves, the mixture thickens slightly, and beings to bubble.  Pour the filling into the crust.  Put the pie in the refrigerator and chill at least 2 hours or until set.

To make the meringue, beat the eggs whites, vanilla, and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.  Gradually add the sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.  Spread the meringue over the set pie filling.  Using a blowtorch, toast the meringue until golden brown.



1 comment:

  1. That's my kid and she is an awesome cook. Mom

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...