10 June 2013

Lemon Berry Yogurt Cake


Life is more crazy and sporadic than usual these days.  Both of my children are in one of those phases where you just want to strangle them and my husband is going to the hospital three days a week.  That's enough craziness for one momma and it doesn't even include the craziness at work right now.  It's enough to make me say "Bless your heart" to myself.  And I have said it to myself a few times lately.  Because of all the craziness my attention is a little more than diverted from blogging these days.  My cooking has been distracted, too, because most of the things I have made lately have been not so spectacular and definitely not up to my own standards -- a just plain old blah pineapple upside down cake for example.  It's one of my favorites and is usually lip-smackin' good, but this time it was just okay (and that's being generous).

This cake is the one exception to the blah, though.  It's lemony, not-too-sweet, tart with berries, tangy with yogurt, and as moist as can be.  It's just everything an early summer cake should be.  I'm not a big fan of frosting in the summer; I think it's just too darn heavy and rich for all this heat, so this cake is frosting-less.  It's also just not sweet enough that I could maybe get away for eating a slice for breakfast.  I think, given all the craziness, that cake for breakfast might just be okay.  This cake is very much like a pound cake, but uses Greek yogurt instead.  Taking out the almost-pound of butter that's in a typical pound cake almost makes this cake good for you, too.  Maybe it really would be okay for breakfast.....




Put some mixed berries in the bottom of a bundt pan.  I use thawed frozen ones since I haven't found any that are just spectacular yet.  


Top the berries with the batter and throw it in the oven.  It really couldn't be easier.


You could eat it with some whipped cream or a little sprinkle of powdered sugar -- whatever floats your boat.



Lemon Berry Yogurt Cake
makes one cake

Print me, Please!!!

1 cup mixed berries, fresh or frozen (if using frozen, thaw the berries first)
Zest of one lemon
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups flour

Preheat the oven to 350°.  Lightly spray a bundt pan with nonstick spray.  Spread the berries in the bundt pan in a even layer; set aside.

In a large bowl combine the lemon zest and sugar.  Beat on medium low speed for about 1 minute to scent the sugar with the lemon zest.  Add the yogurt, oil, eggs, and vanilla and beat on low until smooth.  Add the salt, baking powder, and flour; stir with a wooden spoon until just combined.

Pour the batter over the berries in the bundt pan.  Bake for 50 minutes or until light golden brown and springy to the touch.  Let the cake cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.

2 comments:

  1. I just made a lemon blueberry loaf but I love your idea of making it with other berries! Definitely will try that next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, it was totally yummy. I think it would be good with just about any berries you might have on hand.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...