14 June 2013

Blueberry Bake


I've realized today that my blog recipes have a pattern...recipes that don't really know what they are. Cakes that are also pudding, cookies that are truffles, etc....This is another one of those recipes.  It's called Blueberry Bake.  It's more like a cobbler than anything else, but it's also remarkably coffee cake-like.  So, I'm not really sure which it is; I guess you can have it be whichever one you want it to be.  I'm going to go with cake since I always think of cobbler as a wintertime dessert.

My entire life I've always eaten cobbler in the winter which seems counter-intuitive since cobblers are primarily fruit.  My mom always made our cobbler with canned pie filling, eliminating the need to fresh fruit.  We ate it as soon as it was cool enough to not scald our mouths beyond recognition.  We always put ice cream on top to speed up the cooling process.  I still love the feeling of the boiling hot cobbler with the freezing ice cream.  It's one of my favorite memories.  I didn't eat this with ice cream, but with some whipped cream, which is the another reason I think of it as a cake rather than a cobbler.


I went to the farmer's market this week and got quite a haul.  It's still a little bit early for all the best fruit, but, as you can see, I still got plenty of yumminess for the week.  I've got recipes coming to you using all my goodies in the very near future.  I needed to use the blueberries first, because they were right on the verge of overripe.  I have been toying with this recipe, which is a yeast batter you top with fruit, cinnamon sugar, and butter.  It's really simple, even with using yeast in the batter.  it requires no kneading and only one rise, so it's relatively quick and the yeast adds a depth of flavor you can't get from anything else.  It's scorching hot outside this week, so I put this on the back porch to rise in nature's warming box. 

Just as an extra little note, you could substitute almost any fresh fruit for this, just be sure to chop it up if it's too large or it will sink straight to the bottom of the dish and deflate all the lovely yeast risen goodness.

Enjoy!


Pour all your batter in a baking dish and sprinkle some fruit over the top.




Cover the whole thing with cinnamon sugar and little dots of butter, then cover it with plastic wrap and let it rise until it's fluffy.


Once it's all risen and fluffy, then take off the plastic and cook it until it's lovely and golden brown.


Blueberry Bake
makes one 11" x 7" dish

Print me, Please!!!

1/3 cup milk
6 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
6 Tbsp butter
1 pkg dry active yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 egg
1 1/3 cups flour
1 generous cup blueberries
3 Tbsp light brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Lightly grease an 11" x 7" baking dish with nonstick spray; set aside.

Put the milk, sugar, salt, and 3 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over low heat; cook until the butter just begins to melt.  Allow the mixture to cool for 5 minutes, or until it feels like warm tap water in temperature. In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water.  Add the milk mixture and stir to combine.  Add the egg and flour and stir with a wooden spoon until smooth.  Spread the mixture in the prepared dish.  Sprinkle the blueberries over the batter.

In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over the batter, then dot with the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter.  Cover the dish with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 400°  Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown and slightly springy to the touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...