15 May 2013

Pimiento Cheese Deviled Egg Salad


This recipe is really more of an idea than a finished recipe.  I started out making Pimiento Cheese Deviled Eggs and then my stinkin' eggs wouldn't peel (so much for the foolproof method....).  Imagine the scene in "A Christmas Story" where Ralphie snaps and finally beats up the bully with the family friendly cursing -- that's approximately what I sounded like standing over the bowl with my eggs falling apart in my hands.  I didn't want to waste really tasty eggs, so I improvised and combined merged the pimiento cheese and eggs in a different way.

I guess my husband had never had homemade pimiento cheese -- only store bought -- until I started making it fresh.  I made a fresh batch a couple of weeks ago and he got hooked.  He politely suggested that I start making batches by the bucket rather than the bowlful.  I used my trusty pimiento cheese recipe, added a couple of other things, and my disastrous hard boiled eggs, then mashed it all up.  Voila!  A delicious sandwich filling/dip/just plain ol' good eatin'.



Put your eggs, mayonnaise, and mustard in a bowl.


I used my mini food processor to grind up some pimientos, teeny tiny sweet pickles, and giant garlic stuffed green olives.  You could also chop these up by hand, but I don't have that kind of patience.  You can also customize this my putting in whatever you like.  You could use ripe olives, dill pickles, capers, garlic cloves, green onions, etc....




Smoosh the chopped up stuff with the egg combo in the bowl, some finely grated sharp cheddar, and some other stuff, too.  I used my potato masher, but a fork works, too.  Eat it on a sandwich, on some saltine crackers, with a spoon.....however you wanna play it.

Pimiento Cheese Deviled Egg Salad
makes about 2 1/2 cups


6 hard boiled eggs, peeled
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 T dijon mustard
1 tsp hot sauce 
6 garlic stuffed large green olives
6 very small sweet pickles
2-3 Tbsp chopped pimientos
1 cup finely grated sharp cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Combine the eggs, mayonnaise, mustard, and hot sauce in a medium bowl; set aside.  In a food processor, pulse the olives, pickles, and pimientos until very finely diced.  Add the mixture to the egg mixture along with the cheese.  Mash the mixture with a potato masher or fork until the eggs are well chopped and the texture is how you would like it.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Chill overnight before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...