08 May 2013

No Bake German Chocolate Cookies


These cookies are my take on the no bake cookies I just assume everyone grew up with,  That's probably just because everyone I know grew up with them.  You know, Oatmeal Peanut Butter No Bakes.  You cook 'em up on the stove in no time flat and they just little mouthfuls of comfort.  At least that's how I think of them.  They're just about my favorite cookie and they are definitely my husband's favorite cookie.

I've have German chocolate on the brain lately.  One of my readers asked me to make German chocolate cake.  I wasn't really in the mood for cake at the time, so I concocted some German chocolate brownies.  The brownies were totally yummy, but apparently didn't entirely do the trick since I am still fixated on those flavors -- chocolate, coconut, caramel, pecans.....

I love no bake cookies because they are so easy.  I especially love these since you don't have to fuss with a candy thermometer.  That makes them even easier.  These cookies are super rich, luscious, and just like tiny German chocolate cakes.  You only have to get a pan, a spoon, and a couple of measuring cups dirty, which also means fewer dishes to wash.  That makes these cookies exceptional.


Melt some chocolate chips, marshmallows and butter over low heat.  Stir frequently to keep the chocolate from burning.


In between stirs chop up some pecans and get out the rest of the stuff for the cookies.




As soon as your chocolate and marshmallows are melted, you will have this lovely melted goo.  Try not to start eating it with a spoon.


Pour your pecans, oats, coconut, some vanilla, and toffee bits into the goo and stir it up.  Drop it by spoonfuls onto waxed paper.  Let it set up,  This works best if you do it in the fridge.


Dig in.  Yum.  Yum.  Yum.


No Bake German Chocolate Cookies
makes about 36 cookies


1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
16 large marshmallows
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup toffee bits
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Line 2 cookie sheets with waxed paper; set aside.

In a large saucepan, melt the chocolate chips, butter, and marshmallows over low heat, stirring until the butter and marshmallows are melted and the mixture is smooth.  Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.  Stir in the vanilla, oats, coconut, toffee bits, and pecans.  Drop the mixture my teaspoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets.   Chill 2 to 3 hours or until the cookies are set.  Let the cookies stand at room temperature 15 minutes before serving.






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...