13 May 2013

Half A Cup Brownie Pie




Happy day-after Mother's Day to all my fellow moms out there.  I had a really full day for my own Mother's Day.  I got up and made pancakes for the boys.  I was going to make the Pecan Praline Toast from Friday's post, but I couldn't get away with anything but pancakes when both boys asked for them.  Those faces told me I needed to get moving and make what they wanted.  The boys loved them, so it was worth it.

As soon as we finished breakfast, the boys and I went into the front yard and planted a vegetable/herb garden.  I wouldn't normally have done this in the front yard, but there is only one tiny spot in my entire yard that gets enough sun to grow a plant that requires any semblance of direct sunlight.  We planted eggplant, peppers, carrots, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, Thai basil, rosemary, peas, and yellow squash.  I have a notoriously black thumb, so hopefully I will manage to get some yummy veggies to cook with this summer rather than killing off the entire garden.  Last week I planted parsley and tarragon, too.  I am super excited and I will let you know as soon as they start to bear fruit (or vegetables, as the case may be).

This afternoon we all decided to just kinda veg out and we just hung out.  I made this pie.  One glance at the recipe and you will understand where I came up with the name.  The most awesome thing about this pie is that it requires only one dish -- the pie plate.  You actually mix the batter in the pie plate, so there's almost no mess.  It's delicious, too.  It was a perfect finish to a lovely day with my boys.


Melt the butter in the pie plate.  Be sure to use a pie plate that's glass instead of metal if you are melting the butter in the microwave.


Add the rest of the ingredients.


Mix it all up and pop it into the oven.



Bake the pie until it's barely set, just like any other brownie.


Just for some additional fun, I put some marshmallows on top.  I used big marshmallows that I cut in half with my kitchen scissors.  Throw it back into the oven until the marshmallows are puffy and toasted.


Check out the gooey goodness.  Yum!


Half A Cup Brownie Pie
makes one pie


1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
Marshmallows, for topping (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Melt the butter in the pie plate in the microwave.  Pour the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, vanilla, and eggs on top of the butter.  Stir the ingredients together until well combined.  Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the pie is barely set in the center.  Remove from oven.  If using marshmallows, place on top of the pie, leaving a little space between them and return the pie to the oven until the marshmallows are puffy, toasted, and lightly golden, about 5 minutes.  Serve warm.









No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...