31 May 2013

Finally a New Recipe...




Sorry I disappeared for a few days.  I had this post all ready to go on Monday night with just a little more editing to do and then life went into one of those sort of unexpected and completely overwhelming tailspins.  You know the ones -- you can't even figure out which way is up, down, left, or right -- you can't even fathom thinking about a silly cake or quick bread.  I can't really decide which one of those this recipe is.  In one way it's a cake because the praline glaze is a finger lickin' sweet, sweet frosting.  In another way it's a relatively basic quick bread with the ingredients stirred together in one bowl with a wooden spoon.  I'll let you decide which category you think it falls into.

The pictures up top are from the totally fun party we went to on Sunday to celebrate my best friend Emily's son Reece.  Last week he graduated high school and turned 18 within a couple of days.  In a lot of way I think of Reece as my first kid.  I spent a couple of summers in college basically living
with Emily, her husband Josh, and Reece (who was only two at the time).  It is almost impossible to fathom that he's already an adult and going to college himself this year.  Josh and Emily had good old Southern cookout for Reece with lost of grilling, snacks, cold drinks, and great conversation.  It was the most fun I have had in a long time.

The day after the party, the tailspin hit.  My husband went back into the hospital -- this time for the entire week -- so I have been juggling all that the hospital stay entails with being a mom to two very, very active boys by myself this week.  It's been an adventure, but I'm really looking forward to Saturday, when Eric gets to come home and life can hopefully return to some semblance of normal again.

I don't normally use canned peaches.  I'm quite sure why I even had them in my pantry; maybe the boys wanted them at the grocery store at some point in the past.  I threw this bread together as a last minute contribution to the party and I haven't been able to find good peaches yet this year.  So, I sucked it up and made the canned peaches work.  If you can get fresh peaches, please use them instead the difference in flavor is almost immeasurable.  Don't get me wrong, though, this bread was perfectly yummy even with the canned fruit.



Peach Pecan Quick Bread with Praline Glaze
makes one loaf
For the bread:
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1 1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
One can sliced peaches, well drained and roughly chopped
1 cup chopped pecans

For the glaze:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup powdered sugar
To make the bread, preheat the oven to 350°.  Lightly spray a loaf pan with nonstick spray; set aside.
In a large bowl , stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Add the egg, milk, oil, peaches, and pecans; stir until just combined.
Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 65 to 75 minutes, or until golden brown, springy to the touch, and a tester comes out clean.  Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and let cool completely.
Meanwhile, make the glaze.  In a small saucepan, combine the butter, brown sugar, and cream over medium heat.  Whisking frequently, bring to a boil and let boil for 3 minutes.  Remove from the heat and whisk in the powdered sugar gradually until the mixture is smooth and all the powdered sugar is combined.  Let cool while the bread cooks and cools.

Place the wire rack with the cooled loaf over a rimmed baking sheet.  Using a skewer, toothpick, or fork, poke holes on the top of the cake to allow some of the glaze to soak into the bread.  Pour the glaze over the bread slowly.  Let the cake stand at room temperature at least 4 hours or up to overnight before slicing and serving.  

1 comment:

  1. I have to make this. I love peaches.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...