20 May 2013

Chocolate Cherry Rice Cereal Treats


I knew I had to be onto something with these treats when my husband walked into the kitchen and yelled "Baby, this dessert looks evil!"  That was followed by the compliment that they were really tasty.  That compliment was echoed by my co-workers, who are my informal tasting panel of sorts.  That's sort of the cooking jackpot for me -- it looks evil, tastes delicious....

The inspiration for these treats come from this bag of sweet cherry chips I found at one of the local supermarkets.  I say local -- this particular store is about 30 minutes outside of town.  I have never actually seen this at any store in town at all.  So, I'm sorry if you can't begin to find them.  You could probably substitute some finely chopped dried cherries in place of the chips.  At the very least, then your bars would taste of actual cherries instead of cherry candy.  My thinking was that these could be sort of like a Black Forest cake, but they ended up more like chocolate covered cherries.  Sort of that semi-real chocolate and pretty fake maraschino cherry flavor. If you're a fan of chocolate covered cherries, then you'll love these treats.


Mix all the goodies up and press them into a baking dish.  Let 'em set up for 30 minutes or so.


Cut 'em into squares and dig in.




Chocolate Cherry Rice Cereal Treats
makes about 36 treats

Print me, Please!!!

1/2 cup butter
10.5 oz bag miniature marshmallows
3 cups crisp rice cereal
3 cups chocolate crisp rice cereal
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup cherry flavor chips
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

In a large pan, melt butter and marshmallows over medium heat, stirring constantly.  Once the marshmallows are melted, stir in the rest of the ingredients until well combined.  Press the mixture into a 9x13" baking dish that has been lightly coated with nonstick spray.  Let set at least 30 minutes before cutting into squares.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...