26 April 2013

Bloggers Block and Roasted Peas


This post is going to be a whole lot of randomness. I've got a bit of "blogger's block".  There's a ton of things going on in my life right now, mostly concerning my husband being in the hospital once a week.  All of the energy I am channeling into taking care of him, as well as the kids and myself is just zapping all of my mental energy.  I do have the last of the recipes from the cookout last weekend and I also wanted to show you a couple of cool things my fellow bloggers did this week and just some plain old neat stuff to look at.


This amazingly beautiful cake was posted this week on the blog Sprinkle Bakes. It's inspired my the movie "Amadeus", which is one of my all time favorites.  I am in awe.  Click here to see the post.


The blog Thug Kitchen just won "Best New Blog" from Saveur magazine.  It's completely hilarious.  Pardon the language.  I have tried really hard to not curse so much since I had kids, so I am probably extra-sensitive.  This shit is too funny, though.  I also used to be vegan, so I have mad respect for the recipes.


The blog Manger also won a Saveur award.  Her photography is unbelievable, especially this latest post.  I need to go to France NOW!!!  


And last, but not least, my last treats from the cookout.  This basically turned into a Southern snack mix since I combined these roasted peas with my spicy roasted okra pods.  The peas are yummy, crunchy snack food and actually kinda good for you.  So, a fairly guilt-free snack is not such a bad thing, especially when it's the side to ribs and potato salad.

Chili Oven Roasted Peas
adapted from Southern Living magazine


Two 15.8 oz cans blackeyed peas, 
drained and rinsed
Two 16 oz cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
4 Tbsp vegetable oil
4 tsp chili powder
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground chipotle pepper

Preheat the oven to 425°.  Combine all the ingredients and toss well to combine.  Be careful not to break the peas apart too much.  Spread the pea mixture onto two large rimmed cookie sheets or jelly roll pans.  Bake 35-40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, or until the peas are crispy and dry.  Let cool before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...