18 March 2013

White Chocolate Espresso Pudding Pie


I must warn you -- I'm gonna get so super-classy this week you might not be able to take it.  The food I grew up on came from two decidedly different camps -- the homemade Southern staples and convenience foods.  The Southern staples were things like fried chicken or biscuits and gravy.  The convenience foods were Hamburger Helper, TV dinners, and other stuff from straight out of a box or cans.  Since I grew up on convenience foods, I have a soft spot for them.  The big craze for conveniece foods started in the 1950's.  So my recipes this week are hopefully gonna bring the glamour they tried to bestow on easy foods back then and bring them right up to this century.  I really think that some of these deserve it.

I have never really been a coffee drinker.  I went through a phase during college -- mostly at Waffle House -- where that's where my friends and I went to hang out.  Coffee was the drink of choice.   My mother is a coffee drinker extraordinaire.  The one thing she always brings to the annual Christmas buffet at my house is coffee.  I haven't owned a coffee maker my entire adult life.  At least until this Christmas.  I asked for one this year so that I could use it in recipes.  Having a coffee maker in my house is a bad idea, because now I am semi-obsessed with the stuff.  I'm not up to multiple cups a day yet, but I'm headed that way.  This pie doesn't actually utilized my lovely coffee maker, but it does use enough instant espresso powder to fuel a car.  Feel free to substitute instant coffee or reduce the amount of espresso powder if you don't want your pie quite so strong.





Here are the conveient culprits -- premade graham cracker crust, white chocolate Jell-o instant pudding mix and a tub of whipped topping. 


Combine the pudding mix, some milk, and a ton of espresso powder.  Whisk it together and pop it in the fridge for about 10 minutes.


Pour half of that mixture into the bottom of the pie crust.


Whisk a cup of whipped topping into the other half of the pudding mixture.


Pour this mixture on top of the first layer of espresso pudding in the pie crust.


Spread the remaining whipped topping on top and pop it in the fridge for a couple of hours to set it.
Dig in!!!
White Chocolate Espresso Pudding Pie
makes one pie
2 pkgs white chocolate flavor Jell-o instant pudding mix
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup intant espresso powder
1 premade graham cracker crust
1 small tub whipped topping
Whisk together the pudding mix, milk, and espresso powder until well blended and smooth.  Pour half of this mixture into the crust.  Fold 1 cup of whipped topping into the remaining half of the pudding mixture.  Pour this mixture on top of the first layer in the pie crust.  Spread the remaining whipped topping over the top of the pie.  Chill for at leat 2 hours before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...