20 March 2013

Tangy Eggs and Tasty Tuna


Hard boiled eggs are one my great cooking nemeses.  No matter how hard I try I can never get the suckers to peel properly.  I'm sure I'm not the only one out there that has this same problem, but it sure seems like I'm the only one who can never make them successfully.  I have tried every tip and trick, but nothing ever seems to work.  Until today, that is.  I finally managed to make hard boiled eggs that peeled properly.  Most of them practically jumped out of their shells for me.  I was so excited I took a picture of one and texted it to my husband.  Maybe it doesn't take too much to get me excited, but it's a major relief to know I won't have all those wasted eggs hanging over my head any more.  Wanna know the trick?  Take your time.  Be sure that your eggs are thoroughly cooled before even attempting to crack their shells.  It seems so simple, but with a full time job and family the luxury of time isn't something I always have.  I know I'm not the only one with those issues to contend with.

I adapted these recipes from a totally awesome cookbook I got the flea market last week -- Good Housekeeping's "Ten P.M. Cook Book".  It's like one of those half magazines with recipes that you see at the grocery store checkout, only it only cost $0.39 back in 1958 when it was published and it's way, way better.  I'm more than half tempted to cook everything in it from cover to cover -- like my own retro "Julie and Julia".  I narrowed it down to adapting the recipes for Tangy Eggs and Tasty Tuna.  These would both work equally well as dips, like I served them, or as sandwich fillings (which I tried on some leftover rolls when no one was looking).  Either way they are delicious, easy, and totally deserving or their place on today's table.





First, you have to make some hard boiled eggs.  I start with a pot and enough tap water to cover the eggs.  You only need 4 for this recipe, but I made extra due to my previous failures.  Put the lid on the pot, turn on the heat and bring it to a boil.  As soon the water is boiling, remove the pan from the heat and leave it for 10 minutes.  After 10 minutes is up, move your eggs to the bowl of ice water you have waiting, just like the one below.


Get a big bowl and fill it half with cold water and half with ice.  Leave your eggs in it until they are completely cold.  I recommend at least one hour or until your ice is melted.  Then peel 'em up.


In a medium bowl, add your eggs, some mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, salt, onion, and hot sauce.  I used Chipotle flavor Lousiana hot sauce.


Go to town with a fork or potato masher and smash it all up until it's nice egg salad or dip consistency.  Serve it with crackers, veggies, or on a sandwich.


In all the excitement over my hard boiled eggs, I forgot to take any pictures of the tasty tuna except this one of the lovely chopped capers and the one at the top of this post.  Forgive me.  It was truly tasty, even without the mouthwatering photos.

Tangy Eggs
makes about 1 cup


4 hard cooked eggs
1 tsp minced onion
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 to 1 tsp hot sauce

Put all ingredients in a medium bowl and smash with a fork or potato masher until you reach your desired consistency.  

Tasty Tuna
makes 1 1/2 cups


1 cup chunk style tuna
3 oz cream cheese, softened
1 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 Tbsp finely chopped capers
1/2 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp Sriracha or other hot sauce
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and stir until well mixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...