22 March 2013

Super Evil Eggs


So, technically these eggs aren't evil.  At least not any more evil than any other deviled egg because I love them all so much that I must eat way more than I should any time they are placed within arm's reach.  Deviled eggs are one of my favorite foods in the whole world.  I grew up with them at every holiday, buffet, potluck, etc.  I am serious when I say every one, too.  Since I was so successful with my hard boiled egg cookery for my previous post, Tangy Eggs and Tasty Tuna, I had some beautifully peeled eggs left over and I knew I had to make some deviled eggs. 

Also, as a result of the cookbook I referenced in that post, I looked at way too many recipes using Deviled Ham.  Deviled Ham isn't something I have thought about since I was a kid.  My mom made me a sandwich, I didn't care for it, and I have never had it again.  Since I'm not six anymore I figured I should give it a try.  I like it.  There's not really anything about it to not like -- ham, mustard, spices....  It also prompted me to do some research on where the name for deviled eggs and deviled ham comes from.  "Deviled" as a word first appears in 1800, when it was used in the phrase, "At half past two ate a devil'd kidney". According to the Oxford Companion to Food,
Devil--a culinary term which . . . first appeared as a noun in the 18th century, and then in the early 19th century as a verb meaning to cook something with fiery hot spices or condiments. . . . The term was presumably adopted because of the connection between the devil and the excessive heat in Hell. . . .
So, they're just evil because they contain little more than salt and pepper, not because you are destined to burn forever for consuming them.  You're safe, at least as far as consumption of deviled foods is concerned.


The filling for these eggs is pretty standard except for the addition of the deviled ham.  I also add tarragon.  That is not at all unusual for me to put in deviled eggs, as a matter of fact it's required.  If you have never added tarragon to your deviled eggs, you don't know what you're missing.  They're a match made in taste bud heaven and a revelation.  Run, run to the store and get some tarragon now!!!


Double Deviled Eggs
makes 12 deviled eggs


6 hard boiled eggs, peeled
3 Tbsp mayonnaise
One 4.25 oz can deviled ham
1/2 tsp tarragon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
smoked paprika, for garnish

Cut each egg in half lengthwise, remove the cooked yolk from each and place the yolks in a separate small bowl.  In the bowl with the yolks, add the mayonnaise, ham, tarragon, salt, and pepper; stir well to combine.
Fill the cavity of each egg with the filling.  Sprinkle with paprika.  Serve cold.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...