11 February 2013

Smoky Peas


My momma did something right because I love my veggies.  Always have, always will.  I love pretty much every vegetable in every permutation and preparation.  The only exception I can think of is canned spinach, like Popeye spinach.  I'm pretty sure it's the texture.  I only refused to eat my food at daycare or school twice when I was a kid.  Once was when they tried to give me a bologna sandwich on white bread.  It was the white bread I refused to eat, because I thought it was too mushy.  The other time was when they gave me straight canned spinach in kindergarten.  I didn't get a star for good behavior that day.

My husband on the other hand doesn't like lots of vegetables.  Like I have told you before, he's a really picky eater.  All my favorites like broccoli, cauliflower, artichokes, asparagus -- he won't touch 'em.  We do have some strong shared vegetable ground when it comes to green peas, though.  Fortunately, same as me, he likes them just barely cooked, bright green and with just a little salt.  One thing I like about green peas, too, is the fact that frozen ones are just as good as fresh.  Usually the frozen ones are better, actually.  They're a great green veggie I can get all year long thanks to that fact. 

These are super simple to whip up and make for a mighty fine side dish that does our standard green peas one better.  I might make these my go-to pea dish from now on.  At least, when I have some cream in the fridge. 


Smoky Peas
mmm, mmm bacon!

Print me, Please!!!

4 slices bacon, chopped
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 tsp flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
10 oz pkg frozen green peas
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crispy.  Once the bacon is cooked, remove it to paper towels to drain, leaving as much of the drippings in the skillet as you can.  Add the chopped onion to the skillet and saute until translucent, but not browned.  Add the flour, then stir a little.  Add the milk and heavy cream and stir to combine.  Add the peas, cover, and cook 5-6 minutes, or until the peas are warmed through.  Season with salt and pepper.  Sprinkle the cooked bacon over the peas before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...