13 February 2013

Romantic Soup...? Easy Mushroom Bisque



I'm not quite sure if soup can be romantic for everybody, but I personally think it's pretty stinkin' sexy.  All the slurping involved with a really passionate soup eater always makes me smile.  I think it's pretty hot, too.  It's the embodiment of truly enjoying a food.  Don't even get me started on the sharing of soup and the sopping up of the last bits in the bowl with bread.  You have to have bread with your soup.  That is totally required.  At least it is in my world.


This soup is some truly sexy stuff.  It's rich, creamy, full of flavor, and absolutely worthy of some world class slurping and bread-sopping.  It was everything I could do to not lick my bowl clean.  My husband doesn't like mushrooms, and even he loved it.  This stuff is even easy enough to bust out on a work night.  That's what I did.  You can also make this as you like.  I used a half a pound of regular white mushrooms and half a pound of baby portobellos.  You can go fancy and use expensive mushrooms, too.  This tasted plenty fine with my budget ones, though.  You can also use thyme instead of the Herbes de Provence  I know it's not the easiest spice blend to get your hands on, especially if you're in middle America.

Maybe you could whip some of this up for someone you love.  Like I said, I don't know if soup is romantic for everyone, but if any soup could be, this is the one.



Mushroom Bisque
the butter/flour mixture just before adding milk

Print me, Please!!!

1 lb mushrooms, finely chopped or ground
32 oz chicken broth
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tsp Herbes de Provence
6 Tbsp butter
6 Tbsp flour
3 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
salt and fresh ground pepper

Combine the mushrooms, broth, onion, and Herbes de Provence in a large pot or dutch oven.  Bring to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.  Once the mixture has cooked for 30 minutes, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Once the butter has melted, add the flour and stir with a whisk until well combined.  Add the milk, stirring vigourously with the whisk, until the mixture is smooth.  Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until the sauce is thickened and smooth.  Stir in the cream and cook for another 2 minutes.  Add the cream sauce to the mushroom mixture, then season to taste with salt and pepper.  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...