18 February 2013

One Step Eggs Benedict Casserole


I love Eggs Benedict, but I never get to eat it.  I can make it from scratch quite easily, given that I have the ingredients on hand (which I never do).  I can go out and get it for Sunday brunch, but I very rarely do.  Wanna know why?  I'm not a morning person.  Not at all.  I get up and go to work and get the kids off to school, but only because I have to.  I'm not really a late sleeper, but given the choice I would stay in my pajamas until at least noon.  That's when my brain finally starts kicking into gear.  I sort of wish I were a morning person because breakfast foods are my favorites.  I love pancakes, eggs, bacon, yogurt, sausage, waffles, etc....  I love them enough that we have them for dinner every so often just to get my fix. 

I got the idea for this casserole as a way to fill my breakfast craving with as little effort as possible.  I started doing some research and there were quite a few recipes for Eggs Benedict casserole online already, but all of them required the extra step of making Hollandaise Sauce.  I can understand having the sauce separate, but I just can't get that productive right after I wake up. 

So, this casserole is my own concoction, combining the muffin, Canadian bacon, eggs, and flavors of the hollandaise sauce into one dish and one mixture.  I did add some extras that are not in the original dish, but I think they are for good reason.  My favorite part of Eggs Benedict is the egg yolk running all over the place.  That is missing from this dish, so I added some cheese to the egg mixture and dotted some butter over the top before baking.  The extra little bit of fat helps to psych your tongue out a little bit.  I used cheddar, but you could use any kind of shredded cheese you have on hand, just make sure it isn't too strongly flavored or sharp.

Also, if you don't want to make this the night before you intend to eat it, you can make it, but just let it sit for at least 30 minutes before baking to give the custard time to soak into the muffin pieces.


Eggs Benedict Casserole
makes one 9" x 13" dish

Print me, Please!!!

6 oz Canadian bacon, chopped
6 English muffins, split and cubed
8 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp paprika
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 to 3/4 cup shredded mild cheese
1/4 cup butter, cut into 1/4" cubes

Lightly spray a 9x13" baking dish with nonstick spray.  Sprinkle half of the bacon on the bottom of the dish,  top with the English muffin pieces, followed by the rest of the bacon.  In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, cream, onion powder, paprika, lemon juice, mustard, and cheese.  Pour this mixture over the top of the muffins and bacon.  Cover and let chill overnight.

Remove the casserole from the refrigerator 30 minutes before putting it into the oven.  Preheat the oven to 375°.  Scatter the butter pieces over the top of the casserole.  Bake for 40 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean and the top is golden brown. 

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...