20 February 2013

My 100th Post!!! Mexican Hot Chocolate Brownies!


Yea!!!!  This is officially my 100th post.  I'm honestly not sure if I really expected to keep up the blogging for this long.  This blog is a first for me in so many ways -- the writing, the photography, the recipe sharing.  Up until I started writing this blog, I was notoriously stingy with my recipe sharing.  I have given people recipes as birthday gifts, only to swear them to secrecy upon recipt of said gifts.  So, writing this blog has turned my world upside down in so many ways.  It has turned my kitchen into an almost perpetual pile of dirty bowls, spoons, and spatulas.  It's also given me so much sanity.  My kitchen is my little retreat from the stress and pressure of kids, work, family, bills, etc....  So, if you have given your time to reading (or maybe even making a recipe), I thank you.  Thanks from the bottom of my heart.

I decided that my 100th post needed to be something really ooey, gooey, and over-the-top decadent.  Not that I don't make a lot of really decadent things, but these brownies may just take the cake.  One of my friends actually said they look more like fudge than a brownie, which may just be true since I like my brownies pretty significantly underbaked.  I think you need to differentiate them from their chocolate cake cousins.  They are very different critters.  The key difference between brownies and cake is the amount of flour.  Your brownies should have as little flour as is possible for them to hold together.  The lack of flour also means that you don't have to fret too much about over-stirring your batter.  There's not really enough gluten to toughen things up.  So, if you're making homemade brownies -- stir to your heart's content.

I am a little bit hooked on the new-ish cinnamon chips on the baking aisle.  They are made by Hershey's and for some reason I can't get enough of 'em.  Cinnamon and chocolate are really good friends and like to hang out together, so these brownies have lots of both.  Oh, and marshmallows...I can't forget the marshmallows.  I know that Mexican hot chocolate doesn't have marshmallows in it, but the kid in me automatically associates marshmallows with hot chocolate.  The cinnamon adds such a wonderful depth of flavor to these brownies.  They really are delightfully different.  I hope you make some, too, and enjoy them as much as I have.


Mexican Hot Chocolate Brownies
makes one 8x8" pan

Print me, Please!!!

8 oz semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup sour cream
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 heaping tablespoon instant espresso powder
1 cup cinnamon flavor chips
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
8 large or 20 small marshmallows

Preheat the oven to 350°.  Lightly grease an 8x8" baking pan; set aside.

Melt the butter in the microwave.  Immediately pour in the chocolate chips and let sit for 5 minutes.  Stir until the mixture is smooth; set aside.

Whisk together the sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt.  Add the eggs, sour cream, vanilla, and espresso powder; stir with a wooden spoon until smooth.  Add the chocolate mixture, cinnamon chips, pecans, and marshmallows and stir gently until well combined.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan.  Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the center is just barely set.  Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool completely before slicing.



3 comments:

  1. what is a cinammon flavour chip??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlie

    Here is the link to buy them on the Hershey's website. I get mine at the local grocery store, but they might not be available where you are.
    You could also substitute them for 1 Tbsp of cinnamon and the flavor would be similar.

    http://www.hersheysstore.com/product_detail.do?q=7688&promoCode=HSHPAYPCWEBMACSS&kw={keyword}

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...