14 January 2013

Sorta Homemade Danish


I have done a lot of cooking this weekend -- homemade Greek pizza, chicken fried steak nuggets with homemade gravy, palmiers...but I just couldn't bring my self to document any of it for the blog.  I was pretty preoccupied by the football games this weekend.  The Packers lost, so I have been a little down in the dumps.  It's not so much that the Packers lost (although I wish that weren't the case) but the fact that football season is over for me for the year.  I am really a football nut and will take it anyway I can get it, so it's a like losing a little part of myself for a few months.  I'll be over it in a couple of days, but I always get in a bit of a funk when it first hits me.  There are much worse things to be in a funk over, so I don't wanna be super whiny.  I just have to get it out of my system.

The one thing I made this weekend that I did document are these Danishes.  I call them sorta homemade because I did not make the danish dough, which is actually on my list of things to do this year, but this time I used some Pillsbury Crescent rounds and some pineapple preserves straight outta the grocery store.  I did make the icing, which took all of 1 minute.  I wanted to go ahead and post these though, because they are really tasty, really pretty, and look like they took way more than 10 minutes to put together.  Everyone should have something like this in their repertoire  At least, that's what I think. 

Pineapple preserves might not be the easiest thing to find.  You can substitute any type of preserves, though.  I would definitely use preserves rather than jelly.  You need the real fruit in there to keep those Danishes as authentic seeming as possible.


Sorta Homemade Danish
makes 8 danish

Print me, Please!!!

1 can (8 qty) Pillsbury Crescent Rounds
about 1/4 cup preserves, any flavor
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1- 2 tsp heavy cream

Preheat the oven to 375°.  

 
Open the can of crescent rounds and separate into 8 rolls and place about 2" apart on an ungreased baking sheet. 


 
Using the palm of your hand, press each round into a larger, flatter round, about 3" across. 
 
 
Using the bottom of a small glass, that is a little smaller than the crescent round, press down on the roll, making an indentation that is about 1/4" deep into each dough round. 


Put about 1/2 - 1 tsp of preserves into each indentation. 
Bake on the middle oven rack for 10 - 12 minutes, or until the rolls are golden brown.  Let cool almost completely before icing.


To make the icing, mix together the powdered sugar and heavy cream until lump free and a good drizzling consistency (I find that a fork works best for this.)  Using the tines of the fork drizzle the icing over the danish. 




1 comment:

  1. This looks so good!! I don't think I can try to make it because if I do it good I'll want to make it every weekend!! =)

    Ergo - Blog

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...