11 January 2013

My Favorite Bacon



Who doesn't love bacon?  Okay, I guess there are a few people who don't love bacon.  I used to be vegan.  Back then I definitely did not love bacon.  I did love veggie bacon, though.  I still love veggie bacon.  Obviously I am no longer vegan.  I have a minor love affair going with brown butter.  You can't make brown margarine.  I actually tried once.  I also really bacon.

I didn't like bacon so much when I was a kid.  I have always been pretty weird and picky about my meat eating.  I would tear the bacon apart, separating out the fat so that I didn't have to eat it.  Now I keep a jar of bacon fat on my kitchen counter.  It's glorious stuff.  Especially when you're making gravy.  My, oh, my, how times change....

This is my go-to bacon recipe and bacon cooking method.  It makes absolutely perfect bacon every time.  The sweet and spicy sprinkle ups the flavor ante into the realm of unbelievable.  Even if you don't try the sprinkle on top, definitely try cooking your bacon like this some time.  It make super flat, perfectly crisp, and delightfully non-greasy bacon strips.  It works with almost every bacon I've every used, but up the cooking time by about 10 total minutes if you're using the thick cut stuff.  If you don't increase the time, it won't come out crispy.


My Favorite Bacon

Print me, Please!!!

3 tbsp light brown sugar
3/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 - 3/4 tsp ground chipotle pepper
1 lb bacon strips

Preheat the oven to 350°.  Mix together the sugar, pepper, and chipotle pepper.  Place a wire rack on top of a rimmed baking sheet.  Lay the bacon strips out on the wire rack colse together, but careful not to overlap the slices.  Sprinkle the bacon with half of the sugar mixture.  Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 20 minutes.  After 20 minutes, remove the baking sheet from the oven.  Flip over the bacon slices and sprinkle the other side with the rest of the sugar mixture.  Return to the oven and bake for another 20 minutes.  Remove from the oven and move to a plate the cool slightly before serving.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, this is good. I have to make it more.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...