07 January 2013

Hockey Puck Biscuits and Cheeseballs


I started on my quest for the perfect biscuit this week.  It was a less than perfect start.  I am not totally new to the idea of biscuit making -- I have seen my mother and grandmothers make biscuits from scratch countless times.  I know the basics of biscuit construction; I just need to get the balance of ingredients down.

I got a starting point for a biscuit recipe from one of my go-to-guys for a solid recipe.  I don't wanna name names because I love this person, but their biscuit recipe is nothing short of horrible.  The first batch of biscuits was a disaster.  So much of a disaster that I didn't even take pictures, except one this one of the pastry cutter.  The biscuits were essentially flour-based hockey pucks.  Hockey pucks probably have more flavor, though.


Granted, the biscuit disater was not totally on me, since I followed someone else's recipe to the letter, but I'm definitely going back to the drawing board.  I needed to post a different recipe today, so I decided to go with the cheeseball I made for my Packers playoff watch party yesterday.  I also made a similar one for my humungous Christmas buffet.  This is crazy delicious and super, duper simple.  Just mix and serve.  It's got all things good in my universe -- three kinds of cheese, bacon, and spicy ranch.  Since the Packers won, I might just be making another one next Saturday, too.  Maybe it's this season's good luck charm.....

Bacon Ranch Three Cheeseball
makes one ball

Print me, Please!!!
8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup blue cheese, crumbles
1 cup finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 Tbsp sour cream
1/2 cup bacon, finely crumbled
1 envelope Spicy Ranch dressing powder mix
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans (optional)

Pour cheeses, sour cream, bacon, and ranch dressing mix in a large bowl.  Beat the mixture until well combined.  Use a piece of plastic wrap the shape the mixture into a ball.  Put into the refrigerator until well chilled.  When ready to serve, roll the ball in the chopped pecans just before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...