28 January 2013

Eggplant Patties


I don't know how I did it, but I married a picky eater.  My husband only has a handful of non-canned vegetables he likes at all.  Eggplant may well be his favorite of the fresh vegetables.  The biggest problem with eggplant is that is it really, really easy to screw it up.  If you overcook it, it turns bitter.  That's what you usually run into with eggplant dishes at restaurants.

In preparation for writing this post, I needed to do a little research on the difference between a patty and a fritter.  I had been incorrectly calling these fritters as it turns out.  A fritter is always deep fried and contains chunks or whole pieces of fruits or vegetables.  A patty contains ground or finely chopped meat, fish, or vegetables.  I stand corrected and a little better educated.

I did use my food processor to make these, but you don't have to.  You can crush the crackers by hand and you can mash the eggplant with a masher or a fork.  You can also hand mix the ingredients.  You can use a blender, too.  Make it work with what you've got around.  We served these up with some marinara sauce.  They were yummy.  Even the kids wolfed 'em down.




Eggplant Patties
makes about 20 patties

Print me, Please!!!

1 medium eggplant
20 saltine crackers, finely crushed
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 eggs
2 Tbsp chopped parsley
3 Tbsp minced onion
3/4 tsp garlic powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Peel, cube, and cook the eggplant in salted boiling water until very tender.  Drain well.  I mashed down on mine a little with my wooden spoon to get any extra water out of the eggplant.  Put the eggplant in the bowl of the food processor.  Add the remaining ingredients to the eggplant.  Pulse a few times, or until the mixture is well combined and smooth.

Heat oil, 1/4" deep, on medium high heat in a large skillet.  Fry until well browned, about 3 minutes per side.

Drain cooked patties on paper towels and keep warm in a low oven until ready to serve.  Serve warm.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...