25 January 2013

Corn Flake Pie


Here we go again...another idea from the cafeteria lady cookbook.  There are hints and ideas listed at the beginning of each chapter, mostly pertaining to that chapter's contents.  The one that gave me the idea for this pie was at the beginning of the Appetizers chapter.  The tip is to substitute corn flake cereal for nuts in any recipe.  I'm not sure why this would have been before the appetizers chapter unless the wise woman who provided it was rolling her cheeseballs in cereal.  Maybe she was....

Her tip made me think immediately of pie.  A lot of things make me think immediately of pie, but that's another issue altogether.  I figured that the cereal substitution might also work for pecan pie.  I was right -- it does work.  The cornflakes get a little chewy, rather than staying super crunchy, but that's really the only drawback.  The cereal rose through the topping just like the pecans do and made a nice little crust on the top.  The filling is rather sweet.  That's to be expected since the filling for pecan pie is approximately 95% sugar.  I suggested to my co-workers that maybe I should use frosted flakes next time to get them to stay crunchier.  The prevailing opinion is that more sugar would send anyone catapulting over the sugar cliff, but you might wanna try it.  Just be sure you have your dentist on standby....




Corn Flake Pie
makes one 8" pie

Print me, Please!!!

1 unbaked pie crust
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 cup dark or light corn syrup (I use half a cup of each)
1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled slightly
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp instant espresso powder
1 1/4 cups corn flakes cereal

Preheat the oven to 350°.  Roll your pie crust out into you pie plate; place it in the refrigerator to rest while you prepare the filling.

 In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients.

Pour the filling into the crust and bake in the middle of the oven for 50 minutes.  Place on a wire rack to cool completely before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...