21 January 2013

Apple Cider Oatmeal Cookies


It is totally a cookie day at my house today.  You know, some days you just need cookies.  Today is one of those days.  Cookies are the ultimate comfort food in a lot of ways.  My mom cooked all the time, but one of my strongest memories is the smell of cookies baking.  They say that you are more likely to sell your house if it smells of just-baked cookies because that makes it smell like "home".  So, I know I'm not the only one who thinks of cookies as the ultimate comfort food.

These cookies are a bit of an experiment.  I found a scrap of paper from a while back with the idea of apple cider cookies scrawled on it along with some other ideas for candies and desserts.  I have these pieces of paper everywhere and in countless notebooks, but lately I have been going back through them and weeding through the ideas.  I have come across a little bit that makes some sense to me still. I'm not sure where I got the idea for apple cider cookies, but I thought it sounded like a really nice start for cookie day.  I decided to start with my go-to oatmeal cookie recipe as the base and then I used powdered spiced cider mix to add the cider flavor.  The cider flavor in these turned out pretty mild.  Next time I might add some chopped apples or some more cider mix.  They are still really, really yummy and admirably filled the deep cookie chasm at my house.  You can add raisins or not.  I added them because I love, love, love raisins.  I have friends who think they are awful, though.  Add at your own discretion.





Apple Cider Oatmeal Cookies
makes about 4 dozen cookies

Print me, Please!!!

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
2 envelopes instant spiced apple cider mix
2 eggs
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup raisins (optional)

Preheat the oven to 375°.

Place the butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat on medium high speed until the mixture is light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.   Lower the mixer speed to low and stir in the apple cider mix and eggs.  Beat until combined.  In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Beat into the butter mixture on low speed until just combined.  Stir in the oats and raisins (if using).

Scoop out the dough buy spoonfuls (I use a little ice cream scoop) onto a lightly greased cookie sheet.  Be sure to space them at least 2" apart because these will spread out during baking.  Bake for 12 minutes, or until golden around the edges.  Let cookies cool on the baking sheer for 2 minutes, then remove to wire rack to cool completely.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...