19 December 2012

Retha's Spice Bars

 

Retha was one of my grandmother's best friends.  Her husband, Sam, and my grandfather were fishing buddies.  Apparently, Retha was also one heckuva cook.  I found this recipe in my grandmother's recipe stash a few days ago and I knew I had to make it.  It's perfect for the season, since it is really a spice cake, rather than bars.  I almost always love a really good spice cake.  This is a really, really exceptional one, too.  It also has a brown butter glaze.  If you read the blog, then you know I am almost fanatical in my love for brown butter.  This is almost perfect.  If Retha were still around, I would totally give her a big high five for this one.  Thanks, Retha.

if you look closely, you can see the little brown butter speckles.
it's practically overflowing with raisins, too.
 
 


Retha's Spice Bars
makes one 9" x 13" cake

Print Me, Please!!!

for the cake:
1 cup flour
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup applesauce
1 egg
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350°.  Combine all ingredients well.  Pour the batter into a lightly greased 9x13" baking pan.  Bake for 25 minutes.  Cool completely.

for the glaze:
3 Tbsp butter
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp milk

Heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until light brown.  Remove the brown butter from the heat and whisk in the sugar, vanilla, and milk; beat until smooth.






1 comment:

  1. I made this and it was great. I doubled everthing and made a cake and added pecans. It was great. Very moist, I will be making this one again and again

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...