07 December 2012

Possum Pie


This pie does not contain any possum, opossum, or any other sort of animal.  I have to put that out there immediately.  Don't let the name scare you away, because this pie is deee-licious.  No kidding.  All the folks I shared this with made all manner of sounds and noises.  They wouldn't stop eating long enough to actually form words.

I had never heard of this pie until about a year ago.  The Arkansas Times, a local paper, ran a story by Kat Robinson (who has since written an entire book all about Arkansas pie) about the best pies in the state.  There was a little inset in the article about Possum Pie.  They talked about how it's a local delicacy made in pie shops all over.  I had to find out what I had been missing.  I finally got around to making one this week.  I can understand the why people like it so much, but it takes everything I have to actually call this homemade.  Other than the fact that you mix the components together, everything in this pie is pre-made or from a box.  I don't shy away from using these things, but I almost always use them sparingly and not as the entire composition of a recipe.

So, forgive me, but this one is just too good to keep to myself.




first the cream cheese mixture...
Possum Pie

Print me, Please!!!

8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 graham cracker pie crust (i did make my own, rather than buying one)
1/4 cup pecans, toasted and roughly chopped
1 3/4 cups milk
then the pecans...
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 pkg vanilla instant pudding mix
1 pkg chocolate instant pudding mix
1 small container whipped topping

Beat the cream cheese and powdered sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes.  Spread in the bottom of the crust.  Sprinkle with the chopped pecans; set aside.

then, the pudding.  
Whisk together the milk, vanilla, and pudding mixes until smooth and well combined.  Let stand for 5 minutes.  Spoon on top of the pecans and cream cheese.  Chill for at least 4 hours and up to overnight.  Top with the whipped topping.  Serve.

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love possum pie and if anyone ever takes a trip to Russellville, Arkansas it is a must to stop by old south and pick up a slice or a pie. They are to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was my article, by the way -- Best Pies in Arkansas, November 2011 in the Arkansas Times. I'm glad you liked it. Have you had a chance to pick up my book, Arkansas Pie: A Delicious Slice of the Natural State?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do own your book, Kat! Sorry I didn't realize it was your article or I would have given you credit before now. I have revised the post to reflect it. I have been trying to convince my husband to follow the Arkansas pie trail with me ever since I read your book. It's great! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...