10 December 2012

Goo Goo Clusters Cookies


Goo Goo Clusters are definitely a Southern thing.  If you aren't familiar, Goo Goo Clusters are a candy.  They are composed of nougat (which is remarkably marshmallow-y), peanuts, and caramel all coated in chocolate.  They are made in Tennessee and pretty tough to find outside of very, very Southern places, like little country stores.  I love them.  I get one whenever I have the chance.

These cookies are my ode to the Goo Goo Cluster.  They are brown sugar cookies and are chock full of chocolate chips, peanuts, and marshmallows.  They're pretty darn tasty.  They are, however, not the prettiest cookies you're ever gonna make.  Blame it on the marshmallows.  When you bake these, some of the marshmallows melt and go a little crazy.  That's also why I didn't add caramel.  When the marshmallows melt, they make little crispy, caramel spots all around the cookies.  They're my favorite part.

I have to apologize for the lack of pictures to accompany these cookies.  I had my usual repertoire all ready to go, and while I wasn't looking, my two year old took the memory card out of the camera.  Now the memory card and those pictures are nowhere to be found.  I'll post some of them later if we find what he did with the card....




Goo Goo Clusters Cookies
makes about 5 dozen cookies

Print me, Please!!!

1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup salted cocktail peanuts
1 cup miniature marshmallows

Preheat the oven to 375°.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper; set aside.

Beat butter, shortening, sugars, baking soda, and salt on medium speed until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.  Beat in the eggs and vanilla until combined.  Beat in the flour, 1/3 cup at a time, letting each addition just combine before adding the next.  Stir in the chocolate chips, peanuts, and marshmallows until just combined.

Drop dough by heaping teaspoonfuls at least 2" apart on the prepared baking sheet.  Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown.  Cool on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...