03 December 2012

Fire Snack Mix


Until a couple of months ago, there was a grocery store next door to my work.  It had been around for almost 100 years.  They almost always had "Fire Crackers" in plastic containers by the cash register.  Those crackers were super additctive.  They were made with saltines coated with oil, red pepper, and ranch seasoning.  I decided to put my own spin on their crackers with my own mixture.  You know they had to be on to something if you can charge $5 for 20 saltines and sell out almost every day.  These are so addictive.  I could make some bad jokes like "These put the crack in crackers", but I will try to restrain myself.

You could make this with any crackers, or snacky food.  Just adjust the time in the oven accordingly and also to your own taste.  I like things pretty well-toasted, so I cooked mine a little longer than some might like it.  It must be okay, though, since mine are almost gone in just a few hours, too.  These are a really great snacking food, so you might want to make some for all the big football games coming up....


 
Fire Snack Mix

Print me, Please!!!

3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 pkg ranch dressing powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp black pepper
2-3 Tbsp red pepper flakes (to taste)
1 sleeve butter or club crackers
8 oz wheat crackers
5 oz plain corn chips

Preheat the oven to 250°. 

In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, ranch powder, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and pepper flakes.  Pour in the crackers and chips.  Stir until the crackers and chips are well coated.
Spread the mixture on a large baking sheet.  Bake for 20-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until the mixture is toasted to your liking and most of the oil has absorbed.  Let cool completely and store in an airtight container.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...