19 November 2012

No Bake Gingerbread Balls


The Christmas season is almost upon us.  It has really crept up on me this year.  I am usually all prepared for my Thanksgiving desserts weeks before it gets here.  This year I have no idea what I am going to make.  I guess I'm going to have to figure it out pretty soon.

These no bake, easy desserts are really starting to get out of hand.  I was going to move on today and start making some more complex desserts, like cakes and pies, for holiday gatherings, but I came across a vague idea for these cookies and I just had to make them.  These are still a cookie, I guess, since they are flour-based, but they are sort of a cookie crossed with a truffle.  Like my last few posts, these also are super-duper simple to whip up.  They do require the use of the stove, but no candy thermometer.  They are require digging in and getting your hands dirty -- literally.

These combine all the holiday flavors in a simple little ball even though, unlike many holiday recipes the list of ingredients is remarkably short.  These use their ingredients to maximum efficiency, creating much more complexity and depth without having to haul out the entire pantry.  That fact alone might make these my new favorite.  At the very least, I'm adding them to my yearly gifting repertoire.  Maybe you'll add them to yours, too.
yummy honey
the secret complex ingredient -- unsulphured molasses



No Bake Gingerbread Balls
makes about 4 dozen

Print me, Please!!!

1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup unsulphured molasses
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 3/4 cups plain breadcrumbs
1/4 cu granulated sugar

In a small saucepan, combine the honey and molasses.  Bring to a boil over medium heat.  Remove from the heat and stir in the pepper, cinnamon, and cloves.  Transfer to a large, heatproof bowl and stir in the breadcrumbs; mix until well combined.  Let cool completely.

Put the sugar into a small bowl.  Once the mixture is cool, roll the mixture into 1" balls.  You may have to squeeze the mixture a little to get it to hold together.  Also, wash your hands off after every 3 or 4 balls, to keep the mixture from sticking to your hands, rather than itself.  Roll each ball in the sugar, coating the entire ball.  Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...