21 November 2012

Keepin It Classy for Thanksgiving



Some of the desserts you find at holiday tables are not what you would call classy.  I think this may be one of those, so the title of this post is a little tongue in cheek.  Any recipe that has word "stuff" in the name, and "stuff" is used as a noun, rather than a verb, you might be in trouble.  This "stuff", however, is one of my guilty pleasures at the holiday buffet.  Don't tell anyone, but I have been known to go back for seconds.  I won't hang my head in shame, though, because this is really tasty.  I did sprinkle some pistachios on top to fancy it up a little.  Plus, they look pretty against the pink color.

Magical things happen when you combine sweetened condensed milk and whipped topping.  Together they set up into a light, fluffy, and mousse-like cloud.  The two combined act like they have had gelatin added, though, and they will hold their shape a little.  It doesn't really make since that adding a liquid to whipped topping makes a semi-solid, but it does.  In my post on on kitchen tips, I threw in a recipe for Kool Aid pie.  The combination of sweetened condensed milk and whipped topping is the basis for that pie.

The food-snob in me says that I should be looking to replace the whipped topping with actual whipped cream.  Deep down I know that it's the right thing to do.  If doing it is wrong, though, I don't wanna be right.  Maybe it's my country roots, but I love the stuff and I will keep using it.  So, embrace the whipped topping and join me on the dark side.




Pink Stuff

Print me, Please!!!

One 21 oz can cherry pie filling
One 20 oz can pineapple tidbits, well drained
One 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
16 oz whipped topping, thawed
Roasted pistachio nuts, for garnish (optional)

Combine all ingredients and mix well.  Pour it into a large bowl or a large cake pan.  Chill well and spoon out  if you put it in a bowl, or cut into squares if you put it in a cake pan.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...