28 November 2012

Eggnog Popcorn


Eggnog was always our big Christmas indulgence when I was a kid.  My mom bought one quart every year.  We drank our cup on Christmas morning while we opened our presents.  Now that I'm a grown up and everything I do the same thing.  We get one quart per year.  Since it's too early to by my carton this year, I decided to think outside the box to get my eggnog fix.

I'm usually a major grinch this time of year thanks to my years of working retail during the holidays.  I don't know what it is this year, maybe it's the spirit of blog-writing, but I am totally full of the Christmas spirit this year.  This snack is my way of getting into the sprint a little early.

The eggnog gelatin I use in this recipe might be a little difficult to find if you aren't in a major city.  Sorry about that.  I got mine at my favorite Hispanic grocery store, La Regional, but from what I understand this brand is pretty easily found at Hispanic markets all over the place.  If you haven't visited your local Hispanic market, than consider this treat your chance to go out and have a new experience.




Eggnog Popcorn
makes 8 cups


8 cups popped popcorn (I used 1 bag of butter microwave popcorn)
7 T butter
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup sugar
One 5 oz pkg D'Gari Eggnog Gelatin 

Preheat the oven to 300°.  Spray a jelly roll or other large baking pan with nonstick spray; set aside.  Place popcorn in a large mixing bowl; set aside.

Heat butter and corn syrup over medium high heat, stirring until butter is melted.  Stir in the sugar and gelatin.  Bring mixture to a boil, then lower the heat to medium.  As soon as the mixture is at a simmer, continue cooking for 5 minutes.  Once the mixture has simmered for 5 minutes, quickly pour it over the popcorn.  Mix until it is well coated (but do it quickly, since this starts hardening quickly).  Spread the mixture on the pan.  It doesn't have to be perfectly even, but make sure there are no large clumps.

Bake for 10 minutes.  Remove from the oven and let the popcorn cool to room temperature.  Once the popcorn is cooled, break it into pieces and eat up.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...