14 November 2012

Cinnamon Toast Cobbler


We had a really good blast of wintry air on Sunday night, so I really needed some good cold weather comfort food.  I think it's in my DNA, since my mom does the same thing.  As soon as it turns cold she makes chili, chicken and dumplings, or cobbler.  I found a version of this recipe on a scrap of paper in one of my grandmother's cookbooks.  It's in her handwriting, but I don't know if it was her recipe or someone else's that she jotted down.  If she liked it enough to write it down, though, I knew it had to be good.

hubby dipping and arranging the bread slices
This cobbler requires getting a couple of extra dishes dirty, but it really is terrifically simple and I bet you have just about everything to make it already in your pantry.  I had to go out and buy some canned peaches, but I already had everything else.  I wish I had found this recipe earlier.  I was missing outr.  My grandmother never made this for me, either.  I think it was so good she just kept it all to herself.

My hubby helped out with the cooking this time, too.  Usually my 5 year old is the kitchen helper, but today my husband came in and helped out.  The words Cinnamon Toast Cobbler were enough to keep him close to the action.  Or maybe he just wanted to make sure the kids didn't eat his share.  You could substitute other fruits if you can find them canned in syrup, but I really do think peaches work the best.  Be sure the get them in heavy syrup.  You need that syrup to make the sauce.


Cinnamon Toast Cobbler
makes one 11"x7" pan

about the go in the oven
Print me, Please!!!

Two 14.5 oz cans sliced peaches in heavy syrup
1 T cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
1 T lemon juice
10 T unsalted butter, divided
3 slices bread (I used wheat bread, but you could use whatever you have on hand)
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

fresh out of the oven
Preheat oven to 375°.

Drain the peaches, reserving 1 cup of the juice.  Combine the cornstarch and salt, then whisk into the peach syrup a little at a time so it doesn't clump.  Put the mixture in a small saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.  Once it's boiling cook for 2 minutes.  Stir in the lemon juice, 1/4 cup (4 Tbsp) of the butter, and the peach slices.  Heat just to bubbling, then pour into an ungreased 11"x7" baking dish.

Melt the remaining 6 tablespoons of butter in the microwave.  Cut the bread into 1" wide strips.  Mix together the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  Dip the bread strips into the melted butter, then in the sugar mixture, coating the outside well.  Arrange the bread strips over the peach mixture.  If you have any leftover sugar or butter, just sprinkle it over the top of everything.

Bake for 25 minutes, or until toasty brown and delicious.

nom nom nom

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...