26 November 2012

Best. Cake. Ever.


Seriously.  Best.  Cake.  Ever.  That's the only way I can describe this.  I was already a big fan of Tres Leches Cake, which I pick up fairly regularly at the local Hispanic Bakery.  If you aren't familiar, Tres Leches Cake, or Three Milks Cake, is a really popular cake in parts of Latin America.  It is a very dense sponge cake, which is baked, then soaked in three kinds of milk: evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and regular white milk.  I had the idea that the regular milk needed to be replaced with coconut milk.  I love coconut milk, so I figured I couldn't go wrong.  It's like Tres Leches Cake and Coconut Cream Pie had a love child.  A love child that is so much better as a sum of those two parts than each one on their own.  I think I'm in love.

You also have to cover the cake with some sort of topping to cover up all the holes you poke in it for the milks to soak in.  I used whipped topping, which you know I love if you read regularly, but feel free to cover it with real whipped cream.  Also, don't let the density of the cake scare you, it's gotta be dense to stand up to all that liquid being poured over it.




Coconut Tres Leches Cake
makes one 9" x 13" cake

Print me, Please!!!

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
5 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups coconut milk
One 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
One 12 oz can evaporated milk
One 8 oz container whipped topping
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted

Preheat the oven to 350°.  Grease and flour a 9" x 13" baking pan; set aside.

Stir together the flour and baking powder; set aside.  Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.  Add the eggs one at a time, letting each egg mix into the batter before adding the next one.  Add the vanilla.  Gradually add the flour mixture, about 1/4 cup at a time, until well combined.  Pour the batter into the prepared pan.

Bake for 30 minutes, until cake is golden and springy to the touch.  Pierce the cake several times with the handle of a wooden spoon, the tines of a fork, etc.  Make sure the holes go at least most of the way through the cake.  Let the cake cool completely.

Combine the coconut milk, condensed milk, and evaporated milk.  Pour the milks over the top of the cake.  Let the cake sit for at least 1 hour and up to overnight, to allow the milks to completely soak into the cake.

Combine the whipped topping and half of the coconut.  Spread over the top of the cake.  Sprinkle with the remaining toasted coconut.


3 comments:

  1. Holy Smokes, I LOVE Tres Leche cake and you have taken it over the top by adding coconut...AMAZING! I am definitely adding this to my "must make" list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow looks incredible! Got to give it a go, I have a huge carton of coconut milk that needs using. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks, guys! you flatter me. it really is my favorite cake i've ever made. let me know how your turns out when you make it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...