30 November 2012

Apple Brown Sugar Cookies



So, I'm going to keep this really short and sweet.  My typing ability is greatly impaired right now due to the splint that is currently on the middle finger of my left hand.  I managed to cut myself with a really large chef's knife yesterday evening while breaking down a head of cabbage.  I spent last night in the emergency room waiting to be seen.  Now I have this brace over the cut to keep it from opening up again.  My husband recommended that I go back and re-read the book on knife skills he got me for Christmas a few years ago....

when i say roughly chopped, i mean it.

So, I did manage to make some cookies in my slightly handicapped state.  They're chock full of brown sugar, apple pie spice, and real apples.  I used dried apples, then did a really rough chop on them.  The brown sugar crust also makes a really pretty and tasty crunchy topping.  It pushes these cookies over the top.  Some super fall deliciousness is happening around here.  Hope you have some super fall deliciousness happening at your place, too.





Apple Brown Sugar Cookies
your scoops don't need to be perfect.....
makes about 5 dozen cookies

Print me, Please!!!

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar, divided
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp apple pie spice
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
One 3.5 oz bag dried apples, roughly chopped

Beat the butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and all the white sugar on medium speed until very light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.  Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat well, about 1 more minute.

Stir together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and apple pie spice.  Mix into the butter mixture 1/4 cup at a time.  After each addition, stir until just combined.  Stir in the pecans and apples.

Chill the dough for 30 minutes to 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 350°.  Line a baking sheet with parchment or foil.  If you are using foil, spray it lightly with nonstick spray.

Put the remaining 1/4 cup of brown sugar in a small bowl.  Scoop out the dough by teaspoonfuls.  Dip the top of each scoop in the brown sugar.  Place the cookies, plain dough side down, on the prepared baking sheet, 2" apart.  Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.  Cool on wire racks.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...