05 November 2012

Almond Sucre a la Creme


Warning!  This recipe is most decidedly not Southern!  This my spin on the traditional fudge of Quebec.  It's so good, I had to share it, though.  And it fits in with my super quick goody series.  I have some super-duper love in my heart for Quebec.  I used to travel there with work, so I got to spend a little time there.  I also have some friends up there from my days of booking bands.  You gotta love a place that embraces anything resembling this fudge.

I must admit that is fudge is pretty darn ugly.  It's not smooth and creamy, which is typically the goal in fudge texture.  It's crumbly with well-defined sugar crystals.  It also breaks apart into chunks rather than slicing into neat little squares.  Don't let the appearance fool you, though, because it's crazy-delicious.  It's a mix of those luscious, deep brown sugar flavors crossed with a wallop of almond.   I have made two batches in the last couple of weeks.  Every last crumb of it is gone and all of us at work have been running on an incredible sugar high.




Almond Sucre a la Creme
makes one 8x8 dish

Print me, Please!!!

1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tsp almond extract

Line an 8x8" pan with foil or wax paper and spray lightly with nonstick spray; set aside.

Combine the sugars and cream in a microwave safe bowl.  Heat on high (100% power) for 4 minutes, then remove and stir.  Microwave on high for another 4 minutes, then stir again.  Microwave on high for another 2 minutes.  Remove from the microwave and let sit for 5 minutes without stirring.  Add the almond extract and stir on your mixer's lowest speed for 4 minutes.  Pour mixture into the prepared pan.  Place in the refrigerator until set, about 1 hour.  Break into pieces for serving.



2 comments:

  1. Good one, Amy. Even I could make this:) Thank you for sharing.Pinned & Tweeted
    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kerry! If you do make it, let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...