10 October 2012

Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Muffins


My five year old is semi-obsessed with muffins.  He wants to eat muffins for breakfast everyday.  He is a very, very picky eater, though, so I wanted to come up with something other than chocolate chip muffins that he might be willing to eat.  I figured that if I could make a muffin taste like an oatmeal raisin cookie I would be on the right track.  I was wrong.  He immediately turned his nose up at the notion of raisins in his muffins.  These muffins, however, are oh-so right if you're a fan of oatmeal raisin cookies.  My husband, the two year old, and I lost count of how many we ate.

These muffins are almost good for you.  They contain no butter or oil.  You might want to bookmark this recipe, because that may never happen again.  I do love butter.  Since my objective was to make something at least marginally healthier than chocolate chip muffins, I actually went out of my way to pump up the flavor and moisture to these without adding tons of fat.

I did go a little overboard with the raisins, so feel free to add less if you would like.  I really did want these to mimic cookies, so I wanted some raisin in every bite.  I also added a little sprinkle of muscovado sugar to the tops so that you got a little crunch when you bite into them, too.  I tried to think of everything.  I think I succeeded and hopefully you will think so, too.



Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Muffins
makes 18 muffins

Print me, Please!!!

2 eggs
2/3 cup dark brown sugar
2/3 cup cinnamon applesauce
1/2 cup milk
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup quick cooking oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup seedless raisins
muscovado sugar, for sprinkling

Preheat the oven to 400°.  Prepare 18 muffin cups by lining them with liners or spraying them with nonstick spray; set aside.

Whisk together the eggs, dark brown sugar, applesauce, and milk until well combined and smooth.  Stir in the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until just combined.  Gently fold in the raisins.

Fill the prepared muffin cups 3/4ths full with the batter.  Sprinkle the batter with a little muscovado sugar just before putting in the oven.  Bake about 20 minutes, or until golden brown, springy to the touch, and a tester comes out clean when inserted in the middle of a muffin.

Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...