24 October 2012

Best Ever Super-Lemony Cake with Lemon Marshmallow Frosting


I got the big surprise this week of being given a huge bag of lemons.  I had to come up with something to do with them, hence the birth of this cake.  I must admit, unlike almost everyone else I know, lemon is not my favorite flavor.  I'll take chocolate or caramel instead any day.  If I am going to make something lemon (which I actually do quite often since everyone else I know loves it), then it has to be really, really, really lemony.  I don't believe in doing any flavor halfway.  This cake is definitely a prime example of this.  I almost called it So Lemony I Must Be Insane Cake, but I changed my mind just as I was starting to type this.

The frosting is also super easy.  It's made with a jar of Marshmallow Creme, which adds some lightness without having to add tons of sugar and butter.  So, it's actually a little bit healthier than your standard buttercream frosting.  It's also pretty soft and runny until you put it in the refrigerator for a just a little while.  Whip up the frosting while your cake is in the oven and stick it in the fridge until the cake is cool enough to frost.  

This cake recipe actually makes three 8" cakes.  I only made enough frosting for a two layer cake, which was mostly because I ran out of powdered sugar, but I decided to put the third layer to good use.  I'm gonna give you a bonus post tomorrow to let you in on how I decided to use that extra cake layer.  If you want to make a three layer cake, just double the frosting recipe.  You'll have enough to add that third layer and frost the sides, too.  You might wanna make a big batch just so you can have it on toast or eat it with a spoon.  It's some super light, fluffy, lemony yummy goodness.

i juiced my lemons right into the batter by squeezing over a
sieve.  the sieve catches all the seeds for me.
Best Ever Super-Lemony Cake with Lemon Marshmallow Frosting
Makes one 8" two layer cake


Cake:
1 cup butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
4 eggs, room temperature
Juice and grated zest of 4 lemons
3 c all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 T baking powder
1 cup milk

Frosting:
7 oz jar marshmallow creme
1 cup butter, room temperature
Juice and grated zest of 1 lemon
2 c powdered sugar

Preheat the oven to 350°.  Spray three 8" pans with nonstick spray; set aside.

Cream butter and sugar on medium high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.  Add eggs one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition.  Beat in lemon juice and zest until just combined.  Stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt.  Add the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the milk.  Start and end with the dry ingredients.  Beat each addition on low until just combined.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pans.  Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until cake is golden brown and springy to the touch.  Let cakes cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes, then invert cakes onto wire racks to cool completely.

Meanwhile, beat the marshmallow creme, butter, lemon juice, and zest on medium high until light and fluffy.  Lower the mixer speed to low and add the powdered sugar 1/4 cup at a time, combining well before adding some more.  Once all the powdered sugar is added, increase the mixer speed to medium high and beat for 2 minutes, or until very fluffy.  Refrigerate until the cakes are completely cool and ready to frost.

Once the cakes are cool, place one cake on a serving plate.  Spread half the frosting on top of the cake.  Place the second cake layer on top of the frosting, then spread the remaining frosting on top of the second layer of cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...